Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think Fast: Exposure Quiz!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Maxis Gamez View Post
    So, if I was photographing another WHITE bird in the same light AS image ONE, would you still go to -1??
    (BTW, "if I were..." is correct.)

That is not at all accurate. It would depend on the tonality of the background and the size and position of the white bird in the frame. And you have forgotten that there was a big black gator head in the middle of the image... If you photographed a bright white bird in the same light, however, you would likely be fine with by setting either 1/4000 or 1/3200 sec. at f/5.6 manually.

As I said, those who wish to learn exposure theory need to go back to the original "The Art of Bird Photography: and study the great chapter on exposure. Otherwise, they are doomed to fail when an amazxing situation with a challenging exposure takes place right in front of them. BTW, you are in good company; several very talented photographers flunked the quiz.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Maxis Gamez

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    (BTW, "if I were..." is correct.). BTW, you are in good company; several very talented photographers flunked the quiz.
    Hi Artie,

Thank you for the correction. Glad I'm in the right path..... ;)

Karl-Heinz Georgi

Hi Artie,
    #1 Using an EOS 1Mk3.
    Because my cam is always switched to RAW and Jpeg parallell mode and Tone Priority is enabled, I would not think over for exposure comp. in that situation, but shoot, shoot.... and lateron do my corrections in DPP.
    Best to you Karl-Heinz

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Karl, By taking that approach in this situation, there is an excellent chance that you would have burned highlights that could not be recovered in DPP. And by using that approach all the time, the vast majority of your images would be well underexposed. You would be losing lots of valuable info in your files and introducing noise whenever you lightened them.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12