Default Attitude

Attached Images Attached Images

Steve

Subject: Kestrel M (Falco tinnunculus) Baited
    Camera: Canon EOS R3
    Lens: RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM + EXTENDER RF1.4x
    Exposure: 1/2000 at f/10 ISO12,800 EV +0.33
    Original format: Landscape, almost FF

Note: The subject is fully wild and completely unconstrained. Besides the potential impact of my presence, nothing has been done to intentionally alter or affect the ongoing behaviour of the subject.

The mouse is dead and bred for snakes and I cannot see any difference between this and using sound recordings. It is now help the food intake for the female who is on the nest with eggs.
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Steve, man I really like the impact of this image.

The pose of the subject is great, and it is brought up even more by the perfect barrel stare and the open beak. Great view of the talons.

On top, I love that we can see so much detail on the mouse, including the eye. Gentle handed as always and great detail on the whole!

As an alternative, could see a bit less at bottom and a touch more on top but I would love to have this frame.

PS - possible there's a slight masking halo at the bottom right stem of the stump? Only noticed because I was trying to figure out what that stringy booger was going across the stump and it kind of stood out.

TFS man, good to see images from ya.

Lifetime Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Agree with Brian about the Kestrel; excellent. I also agree with him about the vertical position of the bird in the frame; this Kestrel I suggest might stand out more if there was less perch and more space above. Your last lovely Kestrel of several days ago had too much gate-

post ,which in itself may make great photo in another setting but took my eyes ,at least, away from the main game, this beautiful piece of wild life in both frames.

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks guys, personally I'm not a great fan of subjects being close to the trim/lower in frame, I always think it's slipping out of the frame, however....

PS - possible there's a slight masking halo at the bottom right stem of the stump?
    Brian I added a small Gradient last minute and just wasn't looking.

Here is a RP lower in frame.

Thanks
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thanks guys, personally I'm not a great fan of subjects being close to the trim/lower in frame, I always think it's slipping out of the frame, however....

Brian I added a small Gradient last minute and just wasn't looking.

Here is a RP lower in frame.

Thanks
    Steve
    Understood.

Personally, this version is very engaging and pleasing!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Personally, this version is very engaging and pleasing!

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A beauty, Steve.
    Love the pose here and subject looking towards you. Great image with superb clarity and great detail, beautiful colours and the background is to die for

Warmest regards,
    Gabriela Plesea

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fine shot, composition is neither here nor there, both versions look fine for me. I don't know if this is the same or a different kestrel, colours appear a little richer - maybe the light and background encourage that impression - anyway I prefer the plumage colouring in this one. I really like the pose and the feet/legs show particularly good detail, so often photographers don't pay enough attention to them.
    Hoping to make a similar set up before to long here at home!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Fine shot, composition is neither here nor there, both versions look fine for me. I don't know if this is the same or a different kestrel, colours appear a little richer - maybe the light and background encourage that impression - anyway I prefer the plumage colouring in this one. I really like the pose and the feet/legs show particularly good detail, so often photographers don't pay enough attention to them.
    Hoping to make a similar set up before to long here at home!
    Hi Jon, as you are fully aware, this year has not been the best start because of the wet weather and the countryside being completely and totally submerge, creating very limited options and wildlife in general has been pretty poor, hence this location and the KF site.

The weather has created some interesting backdrops considering the whole set up and light, so its just trying to make the most of what I can and so there is a very conscious effort to place more emphasis on the subject with sympathetic backdrops. Because of the variable light, it does affect plumage colour and as the male is now out constantly he looks sometimes a bit more drab, but in PP its all about perception.

The IQ is just ridiculous and again have honed Raw PP even further to accommodate this.

I will drop you a line if you are setting this up at home.

Cheers
    Steve

10. Thanks Jonathan Ashton thanked for this post
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image with superb clarity and great detail, beautiful colours and the background is to die for
    Thank you Gabriela, as you know its been a bit of a 'Game changer' for both of us, fun too, but I can't wait to see images from your forthcoming trip (no pressure ) and hopefully Africa will deliver for both of us. Think I might get Canon to sponsor the trip with all the gear going out.

Story Sequences Moderator and Wildlife Moderator Gabriela Plesea's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kaluski View Post
    Thank you Gabriela, as you know its been a bit of a 'Game changer' for both of us, fun too, but I can't wait to see images from your forthcoming trip (no pressure ) and hopefully Africa will deliver for both of us. Think I might get Canon to sponsor the trip with all the gear going out.
    Indeed great fun and exciting times for us both! I look forward to the trip, tremendously
    Gabriela Plesea

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Steve a fine shot of the Kestrel , the head turn and the additional food is great .
    Super IQ in terms of tone and color .... lovely fine details , the flat light made it easy to work with the tones .
    Comp works either way ...
    BKG almost too sterile for my taste .

Good overall work

TFS Andreas