Thread: Lesser Scaup Bracing For The Tsunami!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lesser Scaup Bracing For The Tsunami!

Attached Images Attached Images

Hey gang, I've been rather absent from BPN these last couple of months due to a recent change of jobs (no worries - it's a deliberate change), but now settled down and will have more time again to be active here and in the field.

A recent cold, windy, and rainy day had me headed to a local duck pond where a couple of species are migrating through during this time. They are skittish and usually too far away due to the many folks (including many bird photographers) enjoying the walking paths right along the water. I knew the place would be deserted with these "nasty" weather conditions - but that is the perfect time to head out! As suspected, I had the whole park to myself and had tons of fun photographing these ducks as they came closer to shore, swimming against the choppy wind-induced waves in the water while I was lying prone along the mud. So many pleasing splashes to choose from...and reason number 1001 to head out even when the weather man says that it's not looking ideal outside.

Canon R6 + 500mm f/4 II + 1.4TC III, manual exposure, 1/2500s., f/5.6, ISO 1600, about 70% FF, contrast and saturation to taste.

BPN Member
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice Daniel the water chop really makes this. Love that we have that green in the background for some contrast brightens up the image. TFS

Macro and Flora Moderator Jonathan Ashton's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Unusual image, the duck is well shown. The area beneath the duck is very bright, I am sure this was intentional but to my eye a little bright, if it was less bright a little form is revealed and I think it makes it a little more comfortable to the eye.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel:

I like the high key aspect, but agree with Jon about the brightness of the water and tried a gradient adjustment from the bottom with reduced brightness. It did show more form in the water, which tended to anchor it a bit more for me. Why does it not surprise me that you were crawling around on your belly like a reptile for this shot! I believe I have witnessed that behavior first hand on a number of occassions!

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Daniel, love the peek-a-boo effect. You do a nice job presenting the rich, darker tones here and in most images.

Overall composition works for me. I'd be tempted to lose the white spots through the upper 1/3 but not super noticeable.

TFS my friend.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Dan interesting combo of softness and details , works very well for me .
    For sure an unusual shot , very well executed .
    TFS Andreas

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Awesome Dan, DC at his best and highlights having clean backdrop/or less competing colours to help pop the subject.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.