Thread: Tree Climbing 101

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Tree Climbing 101

Attached Images Attached Images

This barred owl owlet was first seen out of the nest 3 days ago. Yesterday when I checked on him, he was on the ground and trying to get back up into a tree. He made multiple unsuccessful attempts. This one looked good but he had trouble with the smooth bark and eventually fell to of the tree again. I was really worried about him surviving the local predators overnight, but was pleased to spot him back up in a tree first thing this morning. Lighting conditions were a bit of a challenge on this shot.

Z9, 800PF, 1/1000s. f/6.3, ISO 12800. Hand held

Post: Slight crop for comp. Used Denoise AI in Lightroom. Smoothed a couple of rough spots in the background.

Comments and advice always appreciated.

Cheers

Randy
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Wildlife Moderator Steve Kaluski's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy, harsh conditions with the light from behind and the head in shade, but you did very well and ISO12,800 is a breeze for the Z9, just keep that SS as high as you can with that amount of MPX.

If anyone knows Owls, then this frame captures that struggle very nicely, the owlet clambering to get back into the canopy of safety and you can see those crampon feet. The diagonal of the branch adds to the comp and both light and the busyness of the BKG conveys the environment well and adds a cool layering.

Have you considered using two gradient filters just to help the brighter elements and to add a bit more in the shadows of the RHS? At 12,800 no need to go above 50-55%, that's based ob both processing both Z9 & Canon raws, IMHO.

Hope to see more.

TFS
    Steve
    Post Production: It’s ALL about what you do with the tools and not, which brand of tool you use.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Steve:

Here is a revised version, taming some of the brighter areas to help draw our eye to the owl. Pretty subtle, but hopefully it helps.

I used a combination of the pen tool on the lower right trunk area (with brightness adjustment layer) and a simple brush on another brightness adjustment layer on the hot spots on the left.

If you have the time, would love to see your version!

Cheers

Randy
    Last edited by Randy Stout; 05-06-2024 at 06:18 AM.
    MY BPN ALBUMS

"Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy" Sir Isaac Newton

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Randy ... a very tricky light situation , that you managed quite well . For sure more options are possible on the overall tonal front .
    Nice action ...
    Personally I would address the noise a bit more , might be just me .

TFS Andreas