BODY PIXELS SENSOR AF PTS FPS ISO WEIGHT COST

50D 15.1 CF - 1.6; DIGIC 4 9 6.3 3200 25.7OZ $1,300

5DII 21.1 FF; DIGIC 4 9 3.9 6400 28.6OZ $2,700

1DIII 10.1 CF - 1.3; DUAL DIGIC III 45 10 3200 40.7OZ $3,845

This is what is available TODAY - yes, we are looking/hoping for what is available tomorrow.

A well thought out comment by Arash analyzing his 5DII: "it is very good camera for stationary birds but it is not good enough for BIF. I had really hoped Canon put pro AF in this amazing body, but I'll have to wait for 1DMKIV to retire my 40D"

We do not know what is going to be released towards the end of the year. Some of us may choose/need to retire our current body (me a 40D) before the new bodies are released.

Help!

If you were going to have only one body for everything from BIF to landscape to macro, which one? If you were going to have two bodies, which ones?

Since I am neither an analytical scientist like Roger (gosh I am working hard to learn all that his website provides :eek:) , nor am I a professional Canon user like Artie, Al, and so many others, I/we need advice. :)

While my initial leanings were towards the 50D and the 5DII, that thinking comes up against things like the 1DIII has 10fps, 45 AF points, and dual sensors. That would make me consider the 5DII (low light/higher ISO, full frame, and the 1DIII.

On the other hand, Artie says to the World: "the 50D tracks birds in flight more accurately than any Canon camera that I have ever used".

Others have asked (Leonard in the 40D/1D thread); I will ask again - why? If the 50D has the same 9 sensors as the 40D, and the 1DIII has 45 sensors, why is the 50D better for BIF - and I would assume other action events, e.g., sports) - than the 1DIII? That takes me back to my initial thinking (50D/5DII).

;) Things to ponder!