Thread: Predatory Gull....

Threaded View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Predatory Gull....

Attached Images Attached Images

On my recent visits to the skimmer colony at Nickerson Beach, near Point Lookout, NY, one or two Great Black-backed Gulls would (individually) kill (though I personally never saw the kill) and devour a young Black Skimmer or two. This always took place at the western end of the colony (though I have know clue as to why....)

Over the past 30 years I have seen the following:

A GBBG grab a yoyung skimmer by the head, shake it, and break its neck in 3 seconds flat at JBWR.

A GBBG knock a Glossy Ibis to the ground as it flew over a marsh, this also at JBWR.

A GBBG grab a Mallard by the wing in an attempt to kill it. The Mallard "flew" round and round in circles until it escaped.

A GBBG try to grab a Snowy Egret that defended itself by stabbing the gull with its beak.

A single GBBG off of the Montauk Lighthouse grab a scoter by the neck and drown it in about 20 minutes. Several other GBBGs joined in to rip the thing apart once the duck had expired. This occurred on a Christmas Bird count back in my birding days (1977-1983).

ps: Feel free to share any of your predatory gull stories.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.