Good day all:

I went to the the local bird sanctuary today to see what migrants were present. I was pleased to see a large number of new migrants, canvas backs, buffleheads, northern shovelors, etc.

On the way out, I stopped to talk at the office. I wanted to discuss ways to make the center more photographer friendly. Currently, there are four foot fences around all the water areas, so its not possible to get low angle shots.

They told me however, that just this last weekend, when the front gates were still locked, two male photographers hiked in, climbed over the fences surrounding the ponds, and were wading around in their waders. Needless to say, when they were discovered, this caused a big uproar. This type of behavior will have wide ranging implications and put further restrictions on photographers, not allow better access as I was hoping for.

We are often our own worst enemies. I don't know who they were, but know a lot of the photographers that go their regularly, and will ask around. A few irresponsible folks will ruin it for us all.

I am not above temptation. I was at a workshop once where corn was fed against the rules to the birds. I didn't do the feeding, but did take pictures, and have felt bad about this since. The rules are the rules, and we can work to change them, but have to obey the existing ones.

Randy