Quote Originally Posted by Steve Canuel View Post
The angle (of the rock) leads my eye to the unseen landing area but I'm curious as to why you didn't include more (perhaps lining the bottom of the frame) or eliminate it entirely. I ask because of your comment about the rock in the Lioness and Cub image in the wildlife forum. Steve
I did not remove the rock completely because I did not want folks to think that the bird was landing on nothing... As John Chardine pointed out, the bird's posture indicates that this is the way-final approach and that landing is imminent. And there was no way for me to put in a cliff edge across the bottom of the frame... As far as the rock in the lion image, that is a totally different sistuationy--there was one rock in front of the lioness and lots of room at the top. And it looked as if by pointing the camera down a bit, the entire rock plus a small border around it could have been included in the frame. In my image there is a whole cliff that continued all the way back to where I was standing. I did leave the rock in part as you stated above to lead the viewer's eye to the (unseen) landing area but there was no way at all to include the whole cliff. Lastly, the angled rock in this image serves somewhat as a frame.