Thread: High Speed Synch Flash Info

Hybrid View

Jonathan Michael Ashton

This is interesting stuff, I have been using flash for most of my macro work, I have exchanged some post with James previously. I have tried the gun on manual at 1/8 power and provided the background is close and the day is bright the results are good. The background and light are however not always obliging so I have reverted to the following scenario:
    I have been using the high speed sync setting on the flash gun and setting the gun to -1/3 down to more recently -1 stop. My logic has been that if it is a particularly bright day and the shutter speed is faster than 1/250 sec then the flash produces the goods and if the shutter speed is slower, well the flash still delivers.
    Jon

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Michael Ashton View Post
    This is interesting stuff, I have been using flash for most of my macro work, I have exchanged some post with James previously. I have tried the gun on manual at 1/8 power and provided the background is close and the day is bright the results are good. The background and light are however not always obliging so I have reverted to the following scenario:
    I have been using the high speed sync setting on the flash gun and setting the gun to -1/3 down to more recently -1 stop. My logic has been that if it is a particularly bright day and the shutter speed is faster than 1/250 sec then the flash produces the goods and if the shutter speed is slower, well the flash still delivers.
    Jon
    As far as generically using the flash at 1/8 power do understand that the power setting is totally dependent on the distance to the subject, or are you always working at the same distance (that does not seem to likely....)

When it is bright and sunny and clear I tend to you MORE flash on the birds, not less.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.