Thread: Excited By a TV???

Hybrid View

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Milicia View Post
    Hi Artie, n the meantime, though, I can point you to this article which describes the effect and does include an image example:
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ound_blur.html

As explained in the referenced article, the "fuzzier" distant background comes from the fact that that a longer
    lens at the same f/stop setting as a shorter lens will use a larger physical aperture opening at
    time of capture. It is technically this larger physical opening which creates the effect rather than
    the focal length itself but since for a given f/stop setting, the physical opening size increases with
    focal length, you can state it either way. I'd also be interested to hear what others have to say about this.

P.S.
    Sorry for getting into this technical sidetrack in your image critique thread.
    Hey Mike, No problema with the technical info. I think that I understand now. To be honest, even in the sample images the differences are not at all obvious to me as in the wider view you are seeing more distracting stuff and it is difficult to judge the degree of fuzziness.

Heck, just another reason to love the 800.

While I will put this in the "Nice to Know" and "Glad That I Learned That" folders, I believe that it is perfect example of folks spending much too much time on fairly worthless info that will not make them better photographers. I do not think that I will be downloading Bob's calculator gizmo any time soon
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    While I will put this in the "Nice to Know" and "Glad That I Learned That" folders, I believe that it is perfect example of folks spending much too much time on fairly worthless info that will not make them better photographers. I do not think that I will be downloading Bob's calculator gizmo any time soon
    Agree this has nothing to do with being a better photographer and I'll pass on the calculator as well
    (and not just because it only works on Windows ;)). The only value I see in this knowledge is it's
    another reason why just getting closer to your subject with a shorter lens is not a substitute for
    a supertelephoto. I've heard individuals claim that they had no need to make the investment in a supertelephoto
    lens because they can just get closer to the subjects. It's an unfortunate fact (financially speaking) that for
    certain styles of bird photography, a supertelephoto lens is an invaluable and irreplaceable tool, and it's not just
    about proximity to the subject. Then again, I take a look at images like this one :

http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...ad.php?t=39110

and wonder why I'm lugging around my 8 1/2 pound 500mm. :)