Thread: Cute but Doomed???

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Cute but Doomed???

Attached Images Attached Images

Monsieur Chris Dodds has made the 1.8 mile climb up to the gannetry on Bonaventure Island more than 135 times. In previous years, he had never once seen any chicks away from the nest, but this year, we had a large chick or two on the mowed grass on our side of the rope or in the taller grass just under the rope every morning. We noted that at least two of those large chicks had not survived. We found the bird in this image under the rope on my last morning...

Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS lens (handheld at 121mm) with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative Metering +1/3 stop: 1/320 sec. at f/8 set manually. On camera fill flash at -2 stops.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

Very cute and I hope he is going to make it. I like the hairdo, pattern on the bill, exposure control, details and included blade of grass.

Linda Robbins

Perfect exposure control, head angle and pose. The green grass adds interest. A lovely image all around.

I am curious though... do you know why these chicks are away from their nests?

Linda

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Robbins View Post
    I am curious though... do you know why these chicks are away from their nests?
    Chris had no clue. Perhaps they had been abandoned... Good to see you back at BPN. Glad that you are feeling better.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great photo, but very sad suggestion/implication.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Hi Arthur,
    Subject goes well with the BG color. I'm betting some will say that they would've removed the grass. I personally like the little splash of color it provides and it's detailed enough to draw interest without being a distraction. Looks pretty healthy but who knows what the parents/other birds may be picking up on.
    Steve

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Haas View Post
    Great photo, but very sad suggestion/implication.
    Only sad if you believe your story, "All cute small things should survive." Death is commonplace at all gannetries as in all of nature yet the gannets are doing fantastically well. That said, I do hope that that one survived.

For more on loving what is, check out www.thework.com

Maxis Gamez

Hi Artie,

Thank you for sharing your story. The composition, fill flash and details works very well but I would remove the green. Just my opinion.

david cramer

Very nice use of fill, and the detail is great. Most likely abandoned, and may very well end up helping another species survive. A Great Horned Owl nest I photographed earlier this year had three chicks, and one got booted out after a few weeks and didn't make it. Year after year I've observed this mother only raises two chicks at a time.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very impressive. I like the detail on the white.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I have lots of similars without the grass. For me, the grass makes the image.

Julie Kenward

I agree that the grass makes the image. It is just the splash of color to add another dimension to the image. I can't get over the beautiful pattern on the chic's beak...it's fascinating. I'm sure it's probably a camoflage issue, right?

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Do you mean the stuff on the beak????????????????

Julie Kenward

Yes..the way the white swirls with the black. Camo? Or is it just dried bird poop and I really don't want to know? :eek::(:eek:

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

The adults feed by regurgitation only. The stuff on the bill is a combination of bits of the adult's feathers and bits of partially digested fish. Above is a typical feeding scene.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cute bird, interesting, but depressing story. I agree the grass makes the image more interesting.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Cordes View Post
    Cute bird, interesting, but depressing story. I agree the grass makes the image more interesting.
    Hey Ed, As for depressing, see my post above on "sad," it is the seventh pane down from the top.

Chris Dodds

Hey Monsieur Morris,

First off, Love this image and remember photographing this baby.

I suspect the bird got out of it's nest and attacked while trying to find it's home as other Gannets were defending their nests. It probably kept moving out of the colony to get away from the attackers. While I'm still not certain, It seems there are no foxes on the island this year (for the fist time in many years), explaining why I've never seen a baby off it's nest before. I'm thinking they became fox food in the past.

Thanks again & very best,

Chris

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Il a été un grand voyage. Merci beaucoups.