Thread: Juvi Wood Stork flap...

Dan O'Leary

Default Juvi Wood Stork flap...

Attached Images Attached Images

Hello, all. It's been a while since I've been able to participate. It's great to see the hits keep flowing!

I was amazed how quickly my PS skills atrophied without regular use.

This image was taken at Gatorland in Orlando. I had not seen young Wood Storks before this, and found them to be very attractive birds. The plumage on head and neck is soft and fluffy, unlike the crusty adults. :)

2008:06:05 189:33
    1dm3 @ 400mm
    Manual 1/1000 sec, f/7.1, ISO 1250
    Flash exp comp: -1 2/3

The crop was a bit awkward. I hope you enjoy the result. It's good to be back!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very nice COMP, exposure, and colors. Love the eye contact, head angle, feet details. You really can't tell the flash was used, just nice range of tones on the feathers. Congrats!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is quite clean and lovely, and oh so soft. The catchlight from the flash is too large and the image has a strong blue cast. I did some eye work and got rid of the blue cast for the repost.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Judy Lynn Malloch

Beautiful pose Dan and love the up stretched wing position. Lovely composition too with good exposure. Very nice repost Artie. Many thanks for sharing Dan.

Joanna Trescott

Great composition. I agree, they are so much cuter than adults. I like the repost -- didn't notice the blue tint, but that is why I am here learning!

Linda Robbins

Dan, this is such a nice pose of this young wood stork, with sharp detail of the plumage. Beautiful soft light. I happen to think the adults are pretty too, but I can understand that not everyone agrees with me! Artie's repost improved an already lovely image.

Dan O'Leary

Thanks, all, for the kind words and critique. Artie nailed the color correction. I think I overlooked tweaking the white balance / color temp when converting the image - told you I was rusty. ;-)

The eye was originally steel from the flash, so I toned it down a lot but, I agree, not enough.

I have grown to love adult Wood Storks too, esp. in flight. The dramatic black and white contrast and their overall "storkiness" is very appealing to me. These little ones were a step above, though!

Dan O'Leary

Hey, I learned something new fixing the color cast in my original. In CS3 you can remove color cast easily with Match Colors.

Check it out: http://www.howcast.com/guides/1341-H...-Photoshop-CS3

Worked great for me...