Thread: Eastern Yellow robin

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Eastern Yellow robin

Hi all,
    I've spent 3 days trying to capture this robin in a thick and dark rainforest. Eventually, one morning I came across this fellow and for the first time I decided to turn on my flash !

D2HS, 200-400 VR, 1/60", f/4, @400mm, ISO 1000, Handheld

Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-13-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Arthur Grosset

A very nice image of a restless bird on a nice perch. I like the contrast with the dark background. I'm interested in the effect that flash has had on this bird because the ones I saw in Australia had a much greyer head without the blue cast you have here. I also thought that the legs were grayish rather than gray-yellow so I must go through my own images to check.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Good idea to turn on the flash. I love this even though the bird is facing slightly away; it looks as if he is spying on something. The image is exceedingly sharp and the background is lovely. I'd ctop a smidge off the bottom so that the lower edge of the perch enters from the corner of the frame.

That BPN has attracted so many good photographers from other lands is thrilling to me, especially because I get to see so many new birds.

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Jacqui Hendry

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    That BPN has attracted so many good photographers from other lands is thrilling to me, especially because I get to see so many new birds.
    I'll second that too Artie :-)

Jacqui

Axel Hildebrandt

What a beautiful little bird. I like the pose, details and use of flash. I might crop a bit off the bottom and right.

Howard Burkert

Impressive image indeed, the sharpness is incredible for hand held. Was VR on normal or active or niether? I like this very much!! Thanks for sharing it, and any information.
    Best,
    Howard.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-13-2008 at 11:03 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

"That BPN has attracted so many good photographers from other lands is thrilling to me, especially because I get to see so many new birds."

Ditto!

As for this image - its wonderful. You might want to clone out the double catchlight and if its in your ethics (and also depending on what these guys look like in perfect plumage) you might want to just do a bit of cloning on the side of the bird.

Howard Burkert

In my prior post I forgot to add one comment that helps push this image over the top!! The incredible art work,done by "Mother Earth" on this awesome branch!
    Best,
    Howard.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Grosset View Post
    A very nice image of a restless bird on a nice perch. I like the contrast with the dark background. I'm interested in the effect that flash has had on this bird because the ones I saw in Australia had a much greyer head without the blue cast you have here. I also thought that the legs were grayish rather than gray-yellow so I must go through my own images to check.
    You're right here cause this one doesn't have the same grey above the head as the other pictures captured in different spots. But according to the colour of his legs, it's probably an immature one. The colours rendition of the branch looks natural to me...

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I'd ctop a smidge off the bottom so that the lower edge of the perch enters from the corner of the frame.
    Thanks for that interesting idea !:)

There are many more aussie species to come, Arthur !:cool:

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Burkert View Post
    Impressive image indeed, the sharpness is incredible for hand held. Was VR on normal or active or niether? I like this very much!! Thanks for sharing it, and any information.
    Best,
    Howard.
    VR on Normal for this shot.
    This lens can produce extremely sharp image at low shutter speed with VR on and handheld.

Howard Burkert

Thanks for your reply about the VR mode used on the 200-400 lens. And again, beautiful image!!
    Best,
    Howard.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

A lovely potrait of our Eastern Yellow Robin Thonnaksar. Focus is spot on and the subject nicely displayed against a soft BG. Even though you have used some flash the normally mid tone grey head and shoulders are a little cool. Maybe try to desaturate blue/cyan for more neutral tone.

Ákos Lumnitzer

Hi Sar,

I love the perch, the colors and your exposure. I think you nailed it. The head turning away is a little nitpick, but only minor.

You ought to post your DB finch that you did recently, remember the one? THat's a ripper and I am still green! :)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John Cooper View Post
    A lovely potrait of our Eastern Yellow Robin Thonnaksar. Focus is spot on and the subject nicely displayed against a soft BG. Even though you have used some flash the normally mid tone grey head and shoulders are a little cool. Maybe try to desaturate blue/cyan for more neutral tone.
    Thanks John for your input.
    I wasn't very sure about about the mid tone grey as I worked on 2 different monitors (not calibrated). I will follow your suggestion to get the right colour and tone.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ákos Lumnitzer View Post
    Hi Sar,

I love the perch, the colors and your exposure. I think you nailed it. The head turning away is a little nitpick, but only minor.

You ought to post your DB finch that you did recently, remember the one? THat's a ripper and I am still green! :)
    Yep, Akos. I'll try to post it tomorrow.
    Thanks for your visit.