Thread: Angel in Full Flare

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Angel in Full Flare

Attached Images Attached Images

This Great Egret was photographed at Little Estero Lagoon in Ft. Myers Beach, FL with the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens (handheld at 106mm) with the Canon EOS-50D. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/2000 sec. at f/7.1.

With the bird on the right side of the frame, I opted to leave the pelican in the BKGR for COMP balance.

AI Servo AF accuracy with the 50D was excellent.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome. I am here to learn too.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Axel Hildebrandt

The light and underwing details look great. I also like the wavelet. It looks as if it needs some CW rotation. I find the pelican a bit small.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful shot, excellent exposure and sharpness. I would remove the Pelican as I find it distracting.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great shot but I agree, I don't think the Pelican works.

Gotta love LEL. I hope to be there sometime this weekend.
    Gavin

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pelican not working for me too Artie.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Not buying the pelican either, but love the pose of the great egret, esp the feet.

bill kominsky

From one Brooklynite to another the image is stunning Artie in every respect, but agree with the pelican, sorry.

Bill

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Love the wing detail and light. If the pelican stays it needs CW rotation + which will unbalance the Egret. I suspect you left it in to make sure that we're paying attention :D
    Tony Whitehead
    Visit my blog at WildLight Photography for latest news and images.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I like a lot this egret´s pose and the fantastic exposure job and nice BG but the pelican.... huuummm, I think that it is best to clone out.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another vote for ditching the pelican!!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

The OOF pelican image doesn't look pretty but on the other hand it gives depth to the whole image.

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I Iove the the details in the whites and the wing position,agree for the OOF pelican!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Another vote for pelican removal:) Find that the water circles under the foot balance the image and give it an extra focal point. Just curious how you would know if it is straight when you H hold and where your focus point was with 7.1. (On the eye???) Looks like he is pretty much all in focus. Pretty basic questions I know.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I am wondering were balance comes into play here?? but the egret pose is awesome!!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Schuknecht View Post
    Another vote for pelican removal:) Find that the water circles under the foot balance the image and give it an extra focal point. Just curious how you would know if it is straight when you H hold and where your focus point was with 7.1. (On the eye???) Looks like he is pretty much all in focus. Pretty basic questions I know.
    Hi Jackie, See the next pane for pelican removal and my comments on same. When hand-holding you rely only on your kinesthetic sense as to what is level and what is not. I used the central sensor for this image and sharpest focus was on the base of the bird's right drumstick. The head was selectively sharpened with a contrast mask (Unsharp Mask: 15/65/1) via a Quick Mask. The f/7.1 helped a bit...
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Attached Images Attached Images

By popular demand, the pelican has been covered with a Quick Mask of the opposite corner and the bird was leveled via a line between the two alulas. Though ditching the pelican was pretty much unanimous I still like it a lot better with the pelican.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Beautiful wing position and detail. Exposure perfect, of course! I do like the second version without the pelican, though, as it wasn't in a good place in the frame, for me, and didn't add to the composition. It would have worked better for me if there had been more room above the pelican and the water trail behind it had been horizontal.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Absolutely gorgeous! Love the pose, the water droplet hitting the water and the rest of the water being calm. Exposure perfect! Would defenitly go for the one without the pelican, but would maybe crop a bit off the left for composition balance in your repost?? Excellent either way though, so wish it was mine!!
    Last edited by Krijn Trimbos; 01-04-2009 at 04:12 PM.