Thread: THIS was YOUR idea!

Kenn Christensen

Default THIS was YOUR idea!

Attached Images Attached Images

A Pair of Wild Geese seem to have an eye to eye confrontation on just WHY they stuck around in the "north country".

Fabs Forns

I like this very much, Kenn, it's an image that tells a story and a wonderful winter scene. Only wish for a bit more separation betweeb the right goose and the ice.

Bill McCrystyn

Sweet, this is my kinda stuff. Is it a photograph or is it a painting? Combining art with photography. Expression, not just tack sharp "documentation". Fabs image above is one movement of the "art spectrum" and yours another. Really nice piece. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Bill McCrystyn; 01-21-2008 at 08:31 PM.

Kenn Christensen

thanks guys... I use a workflow that reduces detail and emphasizes mood and composition.. it looks very unphotographic when Im done.... which is a look Im going for.. I will be showcasing a few more of my pieces here.. they dont draw much comment.. I guess maybe few people know what to say... Ive had some negative comments from photographers who think detail is king.. and strangely enough I had a real tiff with a local wildlife artist about this.. guess it was stepping on his toes... he started out calling it crap an went downhill from there... I didnt take it personally.... I just noted that this style isnt for everyone.... thats for sure...

Bill McCrystyn

It seems to me there is a place for both. Sounds like the Renaissance vs The Impressionest wars. There are many ways to portray "Birds as Art" and I would suspect that's the reason for this forum, so as to enlighten some people that are stuck in a rut. I love Jody's tack sharp Owls on a bank in the snow but sometimes soft impressionistic portrails are just as pleasing to look at in a differant way. It's a shame some people are so narrow and ignorant.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

HI Kenn, While I agree with Fabs about the merge of the right-hand goose with the rock, I really love this. I am new to this gallery; can you give a brief explanation of the techniques that you used to create the image? Am I correct in believing that this is one photograph? While the snow covered rocks are way-cool the trees are just fantastically beautiful.

Thanks for your help and later and love, artie

ps: the local artist and the nay-saying photographers are jealous. All that matters is that you are pleased with your efforts.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Kenn Christensen

Thanks Art!
    I do like this style I have.. and I have a whole line of shots based on the technique.. they have a unique look and allow me more freedom of expression than I otherwise would have.. since they are obviously manipulated it frees me of a lot of chains... for one I dont have ANY "are they photoshopped" questions... thats a given here... the question I often have is "How"....
    so here is my secret.... the effect I used to give this a somewhat painterly look and achieve that look on the trees is known as the buzz simplifier... its a photoshop filter... sadly the company that was selling it is out of business but there are still copies of it floating around.. for 30 day trial... at this site...
    http://www.brothersoft.com/buzz.pro-download-20001.html
    there are a lot of options to using it.. and I use a different group of settings for each shot.. I basically tailor the effects each time.. the results can be anywhere from interesting to spectacular... of course on some shots the filter just doesnt do anything positive what so ever... I will put in a shot of mine that has been very popular locally I call it Awesome Aspens.. this shows the buzz at its best....

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Kenn. Veddy interesting... I still love it. What happens after the 30 day trial???

later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Kenn Christensen

Ummmm my research finds its not 30 days.. its 30 uses!.. after that the product refuses to work.. I suppose there is something in the registry that stops it. At this time no one has picked up this product for resale so the only legit way you can get one is to buy one from someone who has it and wants to sell it. Im keeping mine though. But I suppose its available. the company was Fo2Pix Ltd they were an English company.

Bud Cline

Kenn, I really like this treatment - thanks for sharing the details of how you achieved it. It has a really unique look to it - one I find very appealing. This image looks to have been a great candidate for the technique you use I can imagine that some wildlife "artists" would feel extremely threatened by a print of this fine creation - some just don't get it about where we are vis a vis digital photography/digital art these days. I guess we will have arrived when most viewers of a fine digital art creation like this just say, "Wow, that is stunning!" and do not asked how it was "produced." Bud

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One door opens and another closes. I also love this look . Your a real gentleman to share it with us all Ken.