Thread: Kestrel Flying

John Harper

Default Kestrel Flying

Hi There

Following on from my Great Grey Owl post and Lana's comments about hoping for some shots in better light, I post below shot of a Kestrel taken in December last year at one of the flying demonstrations at the Hawk Conservancy.

The shot was taken with my 1DMKIIN and my "standard" EF 500mm lens. No flash was used just a bit of sunshine and the bird flying the right way.

John

EOS1DMKIIN
    EF 500mm F4L
    ISO 400
    1/2500 @ F4

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    Oh momma.......this is sweet!!! It's amazing what a little natural light will do. A great wing pose to show nice detail in both the upper and lower wings and good eye contact. That eye is really sharp and detailed. I think that the whites might be a tad hot and possibly it would be helpful to lower the exposure by maybe a third in RAW conversion or you might lower the brightness and increase the contrast to make the colors pop. A beautiful image.

David Steele

Well done John!

Julie Kenward

That is one sweet image. The detail throughout the entire bird is spot on and the angle of flight is wonderful! What a beautiful photo!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

WOW! Takes my breath away.

Jeff Hammond

Absolutely outstanding image. This is one of the best flying kestrals I've seen! Kudos on an amazing capture.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wonderfully executed. Sharp everywhere and a perfect exposure. Love the wing position.

Where are you from??? Where is the Hawk Conservancy??? Is this a Lesser Kestrel?

Thanks and later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Great image. It's hard enough to get a Kestrel in front of the lens, much less one in flight. Outstanding!

Artie:

I think this might be it:

http://www.hawk-conservancy.org/photoday.shtml

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Wonderfully executed. Sharp everywhere and a perfect exposure. Love the wing position.

Where are you from??? Where is the Hawk Conservancy??? Is this a Lesser Kestrel?

Thanks and later and love, artie
    Hi Art

Thanks for taking a look, and i have to say you are one of the main reasons i got interested in this area of photography. You were kind enough to critic 10 of my images last year and gave me some hints and tips as to how to improve things and i have been bitten by the "bird bug" so to speak.

I am based in the UK and shoot mainly at the Hawk Conservancy as it is close to where i live and you are guaranteed to get birds in flight as they do flying displays with captive birds.

I just like the challenge of getting sharp shots of small birds in flight like kestrels and falcons, (kind of like shooting but you don't kill anything!). So i post some of my better efforts here in the hope of picking up some more tips from the experts .

John

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks John. I remember our phoen conversation well. Do you know the species?

Later and love and great to see you at BPN.

artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    Thanks John. I remember our phoen conversation well. Do you know the species?

Later and love and great to see you at BPN.

artie
    Hi Art

It would appear to be just a Common Kestrel rather than the Lesser variety.

John

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

A great image, John!
    Love the wing position, detail and eye contact ...

Ron Spomer

John,
    This is the kind of image we could only dream about capturing in the Kodachrome 64 film days. But even with today's cameras, high ISO speeds and digital, this remains one tough shot and you nailed it. Congrats!
    Ron Spomer

Mike Boyce

John, in a word, PERFECT! Wish I could find something I think could be improved. I'd think I'd died and gone to heaven if I ever captured an image this beautiful. I guess that's why I joined this site, so I could learn from the best and have goals to aspire to... your Kestral image is one of my goals. Thanks!

Mike