Thread: Greater Scaup

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Lesser Scaup

I made this image today of a Lesser Scaup (I think) hen flapping her wings at the local marina. Just got my MKIII back from Canon. I am very much pleased with its performance today.
    1D MKIII 300/2.8 IS + 2X TC
    1/1250s f/8.0 at 600.0mm iso640
    Last edited by Bonnie Block; 01-24-2008 at 06:38 PM.

Axel Hildebrandt

Nice wing flap and angle. I'm glad to hear your fixed 1D3 works well. After the submirror fix I noticed that it holds focus better in AI Servo for birds in flight, even if the BG is busy and the bird is small in the frame.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Axel Hildebrandt View Post
    Nice wing flap and angle. I'm glad to hear your fixed 1D3 works well. After the submirror fix I noticed that it holds focus better in AI Servo for birds in flight, even if the BG is busy and the bird is small in the frame.
    Thank you, Axel. Yes, I certainly agree--much, much better--at just about everything. It is not the same camera.
    Last edited by Bonnie Block; 01-24-2008 at 07:17 PM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like this image, Bonnie! I"m a sucker for duck images. :)

joel quenneville

Wonderful wingflap with a nice, clean background. If you have the room, I would add a little more canvas to the right side.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Lovely capture here Bonnie. I really like the wing feather details and exposure.

Alfred Forns

Love the image Bonnie Just perfect from my end Sweet pose and what a bg !!!!!

Very glad your Mk3 is working well The image quality it produces is amazing !!!!

Judy Lynn Malloch

Great timing and wonderful capture Bonnie. Killer Bg too. I am glad your camers is performing well .

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a really good capture, love the BG. I'm glad the Mark III is working even better for you!

BigBob...

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Very lovely. The raised wings, the sharpness, and teh exposure are all plusses. The image needs some CCW rotation. The near-merge of the bill with the far-wing is a bit problematic. Overall, well done. As for the ID, my gut feeling, based on the width of the bill, would be greater, but without any side views of the same bird it is impossible to know for sure.

later and love, artie

ps: Like the others, I love the BKGR colors.
    Last edited by Arthur Morris; 01-25-2008 at 10:29 AM.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.