Thread: Male Tufted Coquette, Trinidad

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Male Tufted Coquette, Trinidad

Attached Images Attached Images

This tiny character was one of several species of hummingbirds I managed to photogragh in Trinidad. This was my first trip to a tropical rainforest area and my first encounter with hummingbirds - I am now hooked!!!!
    Linda's book was a great incentive and I will be posting some of my flight images for your opinions.

Canon 1D Mk111 with 500mm f4 plus TC2. Fill flash with Better Beamer @ -2 1/3. ISO 800 Exp. 1/125 @ f10
    Last edited by Melvin Grey; 06-27-2009 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Trying ti find out why image did not appear!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Spectacular hummer Melvin! I think you did a good job with the 2x here. The fill flash has a subtle look to it (which is good). I would crop a bit off the left, and while I like the OOF branch and leaf, I might darken them a bit.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

What a nice hummer indeed. Agree with cropping from the left. Very nice photo with the colors and BG. Congratulations.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

melvin this is a true spectacular image. i like the use of dry stick perch and oof green going side by side wihle composing. giving a lot to frame.
    no words to say anything bout bird .

just magnificent

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I love this species. Really cool photo. I hope to visit that spot one day soon...

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

One of the most beautiful hummers I have ever seen. Congrats and thanks for sharing. jc

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

fabulous image of a fabulous bird Melvin! I too would darken the leaf and stem on the right but man! this is great! A top notch BPN image!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Stunning. Linda will be envious when she sees this. If yo do crop from the left, be sure to take a bit off of the top. What an amazing bird. The rear neck crest feathers and the crest itself are sick! And I love the single stem and the leaf.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Linda Robbins

Melvin, I am so glad you posted this image! It is spectacular. I love the raised crest and flared neck feathers. Excellent head angle and pose. Perfect exposure and just the right touch of flash. I also love the bg and the single stem and leaf. I hope you will post more of your wonderful hummingbird flight images from your Trinidad trip. Glad you are now a hummingbird addict!

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Spectacular image Melvin! A stunning bird that you have captured beautifully. Nicely exposed with beautiful soft fill, simple comp with balance from the green stem and leaf...which would be a bit stronger IMO with a slight crop of left and top.

Simply gorgeous! Congrats!

Bruce

Judd Patterson

This is really amazing...what a gorgeous image and a gorgeous hummer. Excellent work all the way around!