Thread: Mating Black Ibises

Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi

Default Mating Black Ibises

Attached Images Attached Images

Canon 1D MIII with Canon 500 f/4, Handheld.

EXIF: 1/1600, f/5.6, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metering, ISO 400, AI Servo with central focus point, +2/3 EC.

The light and background were great, and so was the action. To get better detail in the blacks I compensated by +2/3 stops. Hope you guys like it. Would like to hear your thoughts.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

It looks really oversharpened and some SH to get more detail out of the shadowed areas would help IMO.
    But the natural moment, BG, low angle, species and atitudes are great. Congratulaitons.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Ditto Ramon. The light is decent, but not great IMO. You might try cloning out the rock beneath the birds heads.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Cool image... slightly over-sharpened, a halo along the top of the birds back would confirm this., maybe some off the top would help the composition, and cloning out the small distraction below the birds would help... superb details on the black feathers, a great exposure considering what looks like harsh light.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

I think you did quite well with the exposure and low angle. I like the green BG and the great interaction. I agree with the suggestions regarding sharpening, getting a bit more detail out of the blacks, and removing the rock.
    Upcoming Workshops: Bosque del Apache 2019, Ecuador 2020 (details coming soon)
    Website -
    Facebook - 500px

Rohan Kamath

I think the moment captured is fantastic...Not easy to get something like this out in the open... Agree with everyone above on PP suggestions(partly because I'm to amateur to comment on them... :D)

Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi

Thanks all for the suggestions. I guess I went a bit overboard with the sharpening! I'm not really good in post processing; I use Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, and I'm not sure how to get the details in the blacks. I left the cowdung (below the birds), as I do not like to remove elements that were there.

How do I repost an image?
    Last edited by Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi; 07-28-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Pranay, to repost an image, click on the go advanced, and proceed with the same way you would upload an image. I feel you have done fairly well with the detail on the blacks. The angle works very well, and Im in agreement with regards to the oversharpening and removal of the rock. Still, a moment well captured.

Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi

Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Stuart.

Reposting the image with reduced sharpening and bit of levels and saturation. Does it still look oversharpened?

Mohanram Kemparaju

The details in the reposted image looks far better.Nice active here Doc

Threads
    Thank You Posts

The repost is a huge improvement. The action captured and the two perfect HAs (head angles) are fantastic. Leaving the dung is a personal choice that I can respect. You needed to point your lens more to the right so that the birds were not centered. And if you had been able to get right down on the ground, the image would have been that much more spectacular. (I see that that would likely not have been possible as it would have introduced more o-o-f elements along the lower right frame edge.)

Lastly, welcome, and thanks for your membership support.
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Dr.Pranay Rao Juvvadi

Thanks Artie for your thoughts, appreciate it. This was taken from the car; these are very shy birds, as are most of the birds here, so getting out of the car would have scared them away.