Thread: Katmai From the Float Plane

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Default Katmai From the Float Plane

Attached Images Attached Images

This image of Kodiak with Katmai in the BKGR was created with the handheld 70-200mm f/4 L IS lens (at 70mm) and the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1 1/3 stops: 1/640 sec. at f/8.

The only way I am able to make at least a few sharp images from the float plane is to use One-Shot AF and press the shutter button in a continuous motion once focus is achieved.

Don't be shy; all comment welcome.

ps; Just a note to all: you are quite lucky to have Roman as a moderator here. His comments are detailed and made with his love of landscapes fully evident. Though I do not always agree with his tight cropping of birds and wildlife images his efforts here are greatly appreciated. Way to go Roman!
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

No image coming up.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I don't see an image.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jeez, you guys want everything! (I simply forgot to attach the image. It should be there now.)
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

Robert Amoruso

Dependent upon the look you want. A redo using local contrast enhancement - USM on BG copy at 20/50/0.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post

ps; Just a note to all: you are quite lucky to have Roman as a moderator here. His comments are detailed and made with his love of landscapes fully evident. Though I do not always agree with his tight cropping of birds and wildlife images his efforts here are greatly appreciated. Way to go Roman!

I definitely agree with this statement wholeheartedly.
    Last edited by Robert Amoruso; 09-13-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Roman Kurywczak

Hey Artie,
    Thanks for the kind words in your ps. Glad to see that you are trying more landscapes now!

I do like Robert's contrast boost as it helps get through some of the haze especially on the FG mountain. This helps strengthen the impact but I do have a few issues with this that I have to mention..... Compositionally.....this is excellent with the right hand peninsula leading us to the distant mountains. That being said......the flat light doesn't help the overall scene. I do realize this wasn't a private charter flight.....so you take what you can get as far as light......but I always stress in here that what seperates the G&VG to the great......especially in landscapes.....is the light, the light, the light! If those distant mountains had the first rays of sun on them......this would be at a whole other level.....as presented with the tweaks.....nicely composed and very well exposed considering the situation presented to you. I don't think you could have improved this at that time of day & it also shows some of the difficulty in aerial photography.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

YAW. Lots of haze that day near 11am. As they say, the float plane is what the float plane is. I was pleasingly surprised by the image given the conditions. So thanks!

Julie Kenward

What a beautiful image, Artie! I'm big on contrast so I really took it to the extreme - probably too far but what the heck. I did an exposure adjustment, bringing the offset slider down to the left a bit and then did a multiply blend mode, reducing the opacity to about 80%.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Thanks Julie. Your version is a bit out of the box for me

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Just for the record books (and you guys should enjoy this), the ORIG capture is above with lots of pixels in the right hand box.

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Like the repost by Robert the best. How much of the haze was caused by shooting through the window?, at any rate you did well to capture a sharp shot.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

This is a beauty, Artie. What I like most about it is its feeling of depth/distance. I tried to bring that out a bit more by making the foreground a little
    more saturated and contrasty, and fading off. That's a technique from the Old Masters of landscape painting ... vary saturation and contrast with distance.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Jackie, It was hazy; not sure how much was caused by the window but it was not much...

David, I like your repost the best. Thanks for that, for the explanation, and for the side by side comparison. That is pretty cool. (It seems that your repost is similar to Robert Amoruso's.)

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    David, I like your repost the best. Thanks for that, for the explanation, and for the side by side comparison. That is pretty cool. (It seems that your repost is similar to Robert Amoruso's.)
    Thanks, Artie. Yes, similar, except I left the background as shot. I like the low contrast/low saturation for the most distant elements.