Thread: Saker Falcon

John Harper

Default Saker Falcon

Hi There

Shot of "Drifter" the Saker Falcon on a more usual cloudy day in the UK and not long before sunset so had to up the ISO to 2000 to get a quick enough shutter speed. Shot on the 1DMKIII as part of my learning curve with this camera.

John

EOS 1DMKIII
    EF 500 F4L
    ISO 2000
    1/1600 @ F4

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John
    Amazing....the pose and ISO 2000 and how great is it to get him calling. The BG really adds some depth to the image. These just get better and better.

Axel Hildebrandt

The poses you get at this place are simply amazing! Great details, too, and I would never have guessed this is at ISO 2000

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow, that's awesome. Love the feathers on the back and the light on the middle of the bird.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John, Your photographic and your image optimization skills continue to get better and better and better. Quit it already! This one is amazing. Was it created as a VERT?

IAC, I am proud to have been a small part of your learning process. Later and love, artie
    BIRDS AS ART Blog: great info and lessons, lots of images with our legendary BAA educational Captions; we will not sell you junk. 30+ years of long lens experience/e-mail with gear questions.

BIRDS AS ART Online Store: we will not sell you junk. 35 years of long lens experience. Please e-mail with gear questions.

Check out the new SONY e-Guide and videos that I did with Patrick Sparkman here. Ten percent discount for BPN members,

E-mail me at samandmayasgrandpa@att.net.

Brian Wong

Hi John!

Awesome, and love it! Everybody already said it above.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

John,

Very cool in flight pose here. Looks very good for ISO 2000 as well. Perhaps it's just a bit tight.
    Jim Neiger - Kissimmee, Florida

Get the Book: Flight Plan - How to Photograph Birds in Flight
    Please visit my website: www.flightschoolphotography.com 3 spots remaining for Alaska bald eagles workshop.

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur Morris View Post
    John, Your photographic and your image optimization skills continue to get better and better and better. Quit it already! This one is amazing. Was it created as a VERT?

IAC, I am proud to have been a small part of your learning process. Later and love, artie
    Hi Artie

It was created as a horizontal shot and i only just managed to get the bottom wingtip in but i thought it would look better as a vertical crop.

As regards the skills, thanks for the words of encouragement, but its what i have picked up from all the people like yourself, and others generous with their time and expertise to pass it along on forums like this one.

Its great to have images critiqued by people who share a common interest and with the level of expertise that many of the photographers have, who post here, it is a truly wonderful resource.

Best Regards

John

John Harper

Jim - Lana - Axel - Jim - Brian

Thanks to all of you for the positive comments and in taking the time to view my work, Its very pleasing to know that i am on the right track with my BIF shots and I am also grateful for the advice on improvements that can be made.

As I had mentioned in my previous reply to Artie this place really is a wonderful resource for anyone interested in this challenging area of photography.

Best Wishes

John Harper

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

John,

Great image! Did you have to do much noise reduction with this? If so, what software did you use? Its amazing for an ISO 2000 image.

Kevin

Jim Parrish

John:

Very, very nice!

I had the privilege several years ago to serve as Editor of The Journal of Raptor Research published by the Raptor Research Foundation, a scientific organization dedicated to the conservation of birds of prey. You may already be familiar with the organization, because your shot is almost a perfect match to their Prairie Falcon logo. Their logo is actually a pen and ink drawing done by Robert Katona of a female at an eyrie in Colorado. You certainly captured the power of flight possessed by these amazing birds as well as that hypnotic look in their eyes.

Jim Parrish

John Harper

Quote Originally Posted by kklasman View Post
    John,

Great image! Did you have to do much noise reduction with this? If so, what software did you use? Its amazing for an ISO 2000 image.

Kevin
    Hi Kevin

There is no noise reduction as such, all i did was too select the background and apply a little bit of Gaussian blur in Photoshop. I have used "Noise Ninja" in the past which i believe does a pretty good job.... but to be honest my Photoshop Skills need a lot of improving, but thats one of the reasons for being here to learn from people who know way more than me.

Having said that I find the noise levels of files from the MKIII to be very low anyway , and certainly way better than the MKIIN. I have shot some pictures at 3200 and been very pleased. I posted this one a while ago to show you what i mean.

John

Forum Participant Manos Papadomanolakis's Avatar
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

I really like the pose and the wing position!!!