Thread: White Sands, New Mexico

George DeCamp

Default White Sands, New Mexico

White Sands, NM

Image taken while on a trip to Bosque with a friend. Early dawn.

Nikon D3, Nikon 28-70/2.8@ 70mm, ISO 200, f16, 1/2.5s, Gitzo 3530LSV, RRS BH55 Ball Head
    Last edited by George DeCamp; 02-25-2008 at 03:35 AM.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

George,
    I really enjoy the soft, subtle color palette of this image. That said, I feel that the frame ends rather abruptly on the right edge.

Threads
    Thank You Posts

Wow George, this is so pleasing to look at - the foreground plants give the image a 3D appearence. A beautiful composition from where I sit!!

David Steele

This is what landscape photography is all about, enhanced here with beautiful lighting.
    Last edited by David Steele; 02-24-2008 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Correction

Robert Amoruso

George,

The colors and light are perfect. I think moving to the right some would have allowed the plant to be clear of the distant mountain and let you include the plants on right more and balanced it out nicely.

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

Nice going, I know that place :D I think that the right side needs a little help as previously pointed out. But love the colors.

Alfred Forns

One amazing image George !!!! Would vote to evict the little plant merging with the mountains and the little room to the right Love the tones and overall feel I like this image a lot !!!! Got to get there some time !!!! Big Congrats !!!

Forum Participant
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

How about a 3rd suggestion.

What would you think of a vertical crop to just include the foreground plant and the far background plant, as if you were looking at a far away twin? As is, the frame looks cut in half and unbalanced on the right as mentioned, at least to my untrained eye.

The white sand and the ripples really make this along with the foreground plant. If you were to do as I suggested and keep the space to the right of the foreground plant to just a few, and give as much as you have to the left side and perhaps more to the bottom ? Might you also add some shadows?

I do like it as is. Just some different perspective George. The white sand needs to be photographed, I think I hear it calling me. It must be a gorgeous place. thanks for sharing this one.

Judd Patterson

Wow, George, this is a real beauty! The pastels and the yucca plants look amazing and form such a nice image. I agree that the right edge does end a bit abruptly, but this image still makes me yearn to visit this gorgeous spot...thanks for sharing!

Tom Judd

Quote Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
    George,
    I really enjoy the soft, subtle color palette of this image. That said, I feel that the frame ends rather abruptly on the right edge.
    The palette is indeed gorgeous. I do agree with several others that some cropping might be in order.
    I would crop on the left somewhere through the word George. On the right, you could try cropping
    where the distant mountains dip almost down to the sand. These crops would result in a nearly
    square image, which would probably work well.

Despite the nit picking, it's a great shot. In fact, that's what makes it worth fussing over the
    details.

David S. Goswick

George, I really do appreciate this photo. I see nothing lacking in the composition. Everything from the right leads your eye to the main subject, which my eye fastens immediatly at first view of the photo. All the colors are outstandingly attractive to the eye. I like the way you centered the far bush between the near subjects. I too like the outstandingly sharp contrast of the subject bushes. Everything is balanced wonderfully. It seems there was a lot of thought put into this composition sir.

Thank you...

dave

George DeCamp

Well thanks so much for your great ideas and Kudos! I am not a landscape photographer but I do enjoy it and this gives me some enthusiasm!

Thanks again!

BPN Viewer
    Threads
    Thank You Posts

i like this a lot george. simple and beautiful!!

Jose Suro

I like this as is, the colors are gorgeous and the light would have changed had you moved to the right. Well done.

Jose