Thread: Fixing the whites, adding canvas and bluring backgrounds

Fabs Forns

Default Fixing the whites, adding canvas and bluring backgrounds

Hi guys,

For those of you that are not that proficient in PS, please take a look at te instruction given in these two threads:

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...read.php?t=701

http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...read.php?t=710

I sed to add canvas a different way, but O'Toole taught me this way and it makes sense.
    He is out to Japan right now and will improve my suggestions when he gets back :)

Here's Copy and Paste, add canvas and blur bg:

Since we need canvas on the right and the bottom, fist thing I used the crop tool and added space opposite where I wan to add. Cropped. Now I have a blank space on the right, Duplicate the layer and use the Move Toll (V) drag the upper layer to cover the blank.

Go to the bottom of the layer's palette, pick the third box from left and click on it. This will create a layer mask. Making sure the mask is selected (you'll see a square around it), choose the Brush Too (B), You need to have black a Foreground color in your Tool Palette.

With a small SOFT brush, paint black on the line, this should erase it. White on the foreground will have the opposite effect.
    Now merge the layers and retouch with the Clone Stamp (S)

Repeat the procedure with the bottom of the frame: Add canvas on top..etc

Merge layers when you finish, ah, remember to use a soft or hard brush in cloning, depending on your needs.

Duplicate the layer. Go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and select and amount that will diffuse the background in a credibly way. Render.
    Go back to the layer's palette and create a layer mask (I told how before) Brush with black will erase the blur from bird.

Hope this helps. I am not going to use the Burn tool in the BG because I'm afraid it will increase the contrast and be counter-productive.

Since we need canvas on the right and the bottom, fist thing I used the crop tool and added space opposite where I wan to add. Cropped. Now I have a blank space on the right, Duplicate the layer and use the Move Toll (V) drag the upper layer to cover the blank.

Go to the bottom of the layer's palette, pick the third box from left and click on it. This will create a layer mask. Making sure the mask is selected (you'll see a square around it), choose the Brush Too (B), You need to have black a Foreground color in your Tool Palette.

With a small SOFT brush, paint black on the line, this should erase it. White on the foreground will have the opposite effect.
    Now merge the layers and retouch with the Clone Stamp (S)

Repeat the procedure with the bottom of the frame: Add canvas on top..etc

Merge layers when you finish, ah, remember to use a soft or hard brush in cloning, depending on your needs.

Duplicate the layer. Go to Filter>Blur>Gaussian Blur and select and amount that will diffuse the background in a credibly way. Render.
    Go back to the layer's palette and create a layer mask (I told how before) Brush with black will erase the blur from bird.

Hope this helps. I am not going to use the Burn tool in the BG because I'm afraid it will increase the contrast and be counter-productive.

Saving the whites:

There's a few things you can do about the white, and it depends on your abilities which one it would be best.

1- First, convert (I'm taking for granted you used RAW) a version for the midtones, like the one you have here. Save it.
    Open the image again and go darker until the whites look OK to you. Now, open the light image and paste it on top of the darker one.
    Create a layer mask, third box from the left at the bottom of the layers palette, and select the brush tool. Making sure black is your foreground color on the tools palette, brush (erase) all the light whites of the image, leaving the rest of the image untouched. If you overlap, white foreground color will paint them back.
    Sort of a mini HDR??

2- In PS, Select>Color range, the use either the dropper for more control, moving the slider to select only what you want, or choose highlights, feather it by at least 5 (even up to 20) and make another layer with your selection (control J). Using Multiply as your blending mode, move the opacity of the new layer to taste.

3- Clone or Patch Tool some texture from the neck.
    There's a few things you can do about the white, and it depends on your abilities which one it would be best.

1- First, convert (I'm taking for granted you used RAW) a version for the midtones, like the one you have here. Save it.
    Open the image again and go darker until the whites look OK to you. Now, open the light image and paste it on top of the darker one.
    Create a layer mask, third box from the left at the bottom of the layers palette, and select the brush tool. Making sure black is your foreground color on the tools palette, brush (erase) all the light whites of the image, leaving the rest of the image untouched. If you overlap, white foreground color will paint them back.
    Sort of a mini HDR??

2- In PS, Select>Color range, the use either the dropper for more control, moving the slider to select only what you want, or choose highlights, feather it by at least 5 (even up to 20) and make another layer with your selection (control J). Using Multiply as your blending mode, move the opacity of the new layer to taste.

3- Clone or Patch Tool some texture from another white in the image that has not been blown.
    Last edited by Fabs Forns; 01-04-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Robert Amoruso

Nice tips. I have been thinking about this and we need a forum to link to for tips only I think separate from this forum. There you categorize tips and we can link back to them in your critiques. I find myself writing many of the same comments in the landscape forums and would save time and you could give a more in-depth treatment that you refer back to.

Fabs Forns

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Amoruso View Post
    Nice tips. I have been thinking about this and we need a forum to link to for tips only I think separate from this forum. There you categorize tips and we can link back to them in your critiques. I find myself writing many of the same comments in the landscape forums and would save time and you could give a more in-depth treatment that you refer back to.
    I think this would be the place for it!

Emil Martinec

How about a wiki? Make allow the tips to be editable by anyone, so they can be added to by the community's expertise. Just a thought.

Jason Vaclavek

Exclamation

When I click on the links, it asks me to register or log in?:confused:

Fabs Forns

I'll copy the text here, it's a bug in the system :)

Sorry!

Fabs Forns

Done!!! :)

Romy Ocon

Great tips, thanks!

JH Tugs

Quote Originally Posted by Fabs Forns View Post
    I'll copy the text here, it's a bug in the system :)
    Sorry!
    Apologies if slightly off-topic, but out of interest it seems to work for me if you change the URLs to say WWW.birdphotographers.net, rather than just "birdphotographers.net":

Broken: http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...read.php?t=710
    Working: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...read.php?t=710

(Please confirm it's not just me!). Probably the cookie that remembers that you are logged in does not work for both hostnames (i.e. if you logged into www.birdphotographers.net, your link will need to be to www.birdphotographers.net in order for it to remember that you are logged in. If you logged into birdphotographers.net then it's likely that a link to birdphotographers.net will work fine for you).

If that's the case, perhaps birdphotographers.net might best be set up to redirect to www.birdphotographers.net.

HTH.

j.

Alfred Forns

Thanks JH !!! Will check You seem to have a point there !!!

Robert Amoruso

Make it a Sticky so it is always on top.

I will address my thoughts on how this could be done better at a latter date.

Jason Vaclavek

Quote Originally Posted by JH Tugs View Post
    Apologies if slightly off-topic, but out of interest it seems to work for me if you change the URLs to say WWW.birdphotographers.net, rather than just "birdphotographers.net":

Broken: http://birdphotographers.net/forums/...read.php?t=710
    Working: http://www.birdphotographers.net/for...read.php?t=710

(Please confirm it's not just me!). Probably the cookie that remembers that you are logged in does not work for both hostnames (i.e. if you logged into www.birdphotographers.net, your link will need to be to www.birdphotographers.net in order for it to remember that you are logged in. If you logged into birdphotographers.net then it's likely that a link to birdphotographers.net will work fine for you).

If that's the case, perhaps birdphotographers.net might best be set up to redirect to www.birdphotographers.net.

HTH.

j.
    Correcting the links from Fabs with the WWW. does make it work for me. Thanks for the tip.

Threads
    Thank You Posts
    Blog Entries

Not really a bug. But a protection.
    Just log in again and you will be all set.
    James