PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Tern in Habitat

John Ippolito
07-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge
D800, 500/4 VR, ISO 640, f/4.5, 1/3200

gail bisson
07-04-2012, 06:07 PM
This is really nice John. I like the wing position, the visible eye with great catchlight, the flowing tail feathers and the light.
Excellent "small in the frame" environmental image.
I think that every critique will have a personal opinion on position of bird in the frame as it is such a matter of personal taste.
For my taste I would like a bit off the bottom and LHS so that the tern is more in the LLC.
I find the blade of grass that runs diagonally in front of the tern a bit distracting.
Gail

dankearl
07-04-2012, 06:12 PM
I like the "big " picture environment photos but feel they need some FG vegetation in focus to work well for me.
As is, I would like the bird larger in the frame as the environment is all OOF. The exposure looks great and the bird is nice.
It also seems a bit noisy for iso 640 and not much of a crop.

Stu Bowie
07-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Hi John, love the light in this, and the tern is nice and sharp. Well exposed with good underwing detail, and I really like the varied colourful BG. Comp wise, I would move the tern a little back to the URC. :w3

christopher galeski
07-05-2012, 02:39 AM
nice image,like the BG,pose,nice detail and good eye contact.thanks.

Randy Stout
07-05-2012, 07:29 AM
John:

Nice sense of the environment here, like the subtle blue/grays on the upper right which plays well with the tern.

Comp. is always a fun part of such images. For me, with the down stroke and slight downward angle of his body, in a perfect world, I would place him at the right upper ROT point (Which is where I think Stuart was headed.} Very subjective, but that is part of the fun for this style of image.

Sharp, well exposed, nice detail for such small in frame subject.

Cheers

Randy

John Ippolito
07-06-2012, 12:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I agree with all of your helpful comments. I posted the wrong image:e3