Shoebill Portrait

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

K

Ken Watkins

Shoebill_37D2181.jpg

We were extremely lucky to find one ( in fact 4) of these magnificent and "uncommon" birds in the papyrus swamps at the southern end of Lake Albert in Uganda 22nd June 2012. Taken from a small boat this is full frame the bird itself is enormous around 1.2 metres

EOS 1D MkIV

500mm F4 hand-held

F6.3, ISO 800, 1/1250

Great capture of a very special bird , Ken.I like the intense full frontal stare. Also like the clean bg ( could do with a bit of NR )
A bird I would still like to capture one day.Were you on a safari especially for this species ?
Do you have some side - on shots ,showing the formidable bill ?

Arno,

Thanks very much, we were staying in Semliki Safari Lodge who arranged a trip for us on their boat from a rather scruffy fishing village called Ntoroko at the southern end of the lake. We went out twice early in the morning (to avoid the rough water that builds up later in the day).

I do indeed have some side shots as well as full body I will post them later

Hi Ken, love the head on stare, and that both eyes are clearly visible. Although we can see the shape of the bill at this angle, I too would love to see a side on view of their enormous bill. Great OOF BG too. A great sighting you managed here.

Last edited:
hehehehe.....what a character ! going out on a limb here, but maybe the eyes could do with a nano amount of extra sharpening

Ken - an interesting looking bird and you have captured it well. Looking forward to seeing the other images.

TFS,
Rachel

Wow! What a cool looking bird. First time for me so thanks for showing. I too feel the eyes look a little soft but love the texture in feathers. That look is a killer. Love it.
Looking forward to more of this species.

Whoa, that's one freaky looking bird. Love the head on stare - it's almost scary :)
That bill does look formidable. Looking forward to more!

Ken, that is one cool looking bird and love the expression here. composition, sharpness (except for eyes) and exposure looks good to me. TFS

Ken, it is my impression, right or wrong, that the places you visit for photography, because of poverty & political unrest, are dangerous. Are you concerned about your safety? Have you felt threatened or concerned for your physical well being?

Andrew

Andrew,
I have never felt under threat anywhere in Africa, in fact places like Uganda and Zimbabwe are amongst the friendliest places I have ever been.
Even Northern Uganda which the press report as being overrun by the Lords Resistance Army shows no sign of warfare or danger, in fact Kipedo is a remarkable place.

Love the head on view and the distance to the subject gave you enough d-o-f to cover that big honker of a bill. An option would be to lose the grey BKGR behind to the right of the bird's head.