PDA

View Full Version : Serenity In White - whooper swans

Marsel van Oosten
07-13-2012, 06:40 AM
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/3365/JAP_KUS_110221_879-copy.jpg

>Click here for large version< (http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/data/3365/JAP_KUS_110221_879-XL.jpg)

This was shot on last year's Japan workshop. Whooper swans can also be photographed outside of Japan, but nowhere do you get to shoot them with such stunning scenery and backdrops as on Hokkaido. We visited this great lake that freezes over in winter, except for a few parts close to shore where warm water from natural hot springs runs into the lake. Obviously, the swans prefer this over the ice, and as the rest of the lake is frozen, there are many swans in a few relatively small areas - perfect for photographers.

On this particular morning the conditions were very good - a crystal clear sky with a good view of the mountains in the background, fog, some soft sunlight, and a lot of swan activity. We got flocks flying low over our heads, fly-by's, landings, take-offs, wing flapping etc.

I like the different activities all in one image; sitting, sleeping, flying, landing and calling (the one on the far right in the distance).

Curious what you think.

Marsel

Oh, and if you're wondering what's with the two capital O's in my user name - that's a typo. Sent a message to the admin twice, no response. Can someone correct this?

Randy Stout
07-13-2012, 07:08 AM
Marsel:

A big welcome to BPN.

Lovely first image, and yes, all the different poses are fun. Some parts almost look like a timed sequence of one bird, as he launches.

I love to shoot in the winter because of the nice fill effect off the snow.

If you have a little bit more room on right, might be an interesting option from a comp standpoint.

Look forward to more.

I will look into changing the user name issue, may take a bit.

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
07-13-2012, 08:47 AM
nice first post and good comments by Randy.
Your image is too small for critique. The posting size in BPN is 1024 pixels.

welcome to BPN!

Marsel van Oosten
07-13-2012, 08:57 AM
Thank you Arash. There's a link right under the image to a 1200 pixel version.:w3

Sachin Saraf
07-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Welcome to BPN and fantastic first post..Large version looks excellent...you can post 1024 wide here as suggested by Arash.

Daniel Cadieux
07-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Welcome to BPN Marsel!! Love the scene, and I really dig the fog layer...very neat. We're in the middle of a mini drought here...quite refreshing to see all that snow!

jack williamson
07-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Excellent whites, very nice composition. Please post your techs. Welcome.

Jack

Lorant Voros
07-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Very nice first image and welcome in the community. I pretty much like everything the way it is; my only wish is to see it bigger. Please keep posting.

Sidharth Kodikal
07-13-2012, 11:10 PM
Exceptionally beautiful image, Marsel. Big welcome to BPN.
I'm a big fan of your work and have enjoyed many of your award winning images.
Definitely looking forward to your participation here.

Marsel van Oosten
07-14-2012, 12:20 PM
Thank you for the kind words. Here's the shooting data:

Nikon D3, AF-S VR 70-200/2.8 @ 130mm, 1/1600 @ f/8, ISO 400, handheld