PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher

Jim Crosswell
09-25-2012, 05:20 PM
This was taken at my backyard set-up. This is a big crop so I am losing some of the detail. I moved closer for a better image but the KF did not return. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 40D
500L f4
1.4 Extender
ISO 400
f7.1
1/3200s
Tripod

Randy Stout
09-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Jim:

Nice backyard! Nice colors, well exposed. The perch is massive, but its shape helps. I like the pose. Perhaps a sliver more room below.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Crosswell
09-25-2012, 06:55 PM
Jim:

Nice backyard! Nice colors, well exposed. The perch is massive, but its shape helps. I like the pose. Perhaps a sliver more room below.

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy. I am going to change the perch to a smaller one if the KF is still around this weekend.

Corey Hayes
09-25-2012, 07:33 PM
Nice photo I always find these guys hard to get close too.
I kind of like the perch it adds character.

Juan Carlos Vindas
09-25-2012, 09:15 PM
Nice IQ for a big crop Jim. I do like how the bird is posing and the nice BG. I would give more room on bottom and less on top.

dankearl
09-25-2012, 09:58 PM
You have a Kingfisher at a setup?
Very nice, the perch and bird are well done.
I can't get close to them!

Shawn Zierman
09-26-2012, 12:40 AM
Awesome "backyard" shot! It's such a tough bird to get, I'd be thrilled with this.
The IQ is pretty good as is. A consideration might be to crop some off the left side,
right past that knob in the perch, as that and the shadow in the perch on the underside
seem to pull my eye from the subject. Agree with more space on the bottom.
Curious how you fastened a horizontal perch this size? Or is it coming off a trunk that you
have weighted down into the pond?

Satish Ranadive
09-26-2012, 12:54 AM
Excellent setup.Magnificent image with very nice composition.
Love the pose,colors,crest and color of BG well complimenting with Kingfisher's wing.

Regards,
Satish.

Robert Holguin
09-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Wow!! I would love to have these birds in my backyard.
Excellent pose, the perch is big, but the shape makes up for that. Exposed well and great background.
Well done.

Karl Egressy
09-26-2012, 04:46 AM
You have a magical backyard if even Belted Kingfishers come to you. I like the raggedy looking percha nd the bird looks as good as it can, Jim. Great work.

Jim Crosswell
09-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Awesome "backyard" shot! It's such a tough bird to get, I'd be thrilled with this.
The IQ is pretty good as is. A consideration might be to crop some off the left side,
right past that knob in the perch, as that and the shadow in the perch on the underside
seem to pull my eye from the subject. Agree with more space on the bottom.
Curious how you fastened a horizontal perch this size? Or is it coming off a trunk that you
have weighted down into the pond?

Thanks Shawn for the comments and suggestions. I attached the perch with a hose clamp to a metal post I pounded into the lake bed. I originally had a single piece of wood attached vertically but the KF didn't land on it. Then I attached the perch in the image horizontally with a metal bracket to the old vertical perch. The perch is about 6ft above the water. I was making breakfast on Sunday and saw the KF using the perch so I set up the camera and got this image.

Craig Brelsford
09-26-2012, 08:41 AM
The IQ is an issue, but it was no mean feat to attract this guy to your backyard, and I salute you.

Bill Dix
09-26-2012, 09:39 AM
I can never get close to these guys. Congrats on getting him in your backyard. I like the heavy perch, but wish for just a slivver more space beneath it.

Daniel Cadieux
09-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Excellent image here Jim for all the reasond mentioned.

You'll need lots of patience getting this closer to full-frame with our KFs. You'll likely need a hide, perhaps leaving it there for a few days to get the KF used to it, and then enter it when it is not around. It is something I would love to try if I had a proper location to setup like this...

Stu Bowie
09-26-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Jim, a great subject to have visiting your back yard. I really like the pose with the raised crest, and the colours pop nicely from the grey BG. I agree a little more room below will work.

gail bisson
09-26-2012, 12:02 PM
The IQ is not too bad! Would have loved the opportunity and agree with Daniel re: leaving the blind up so he gets used to it and try again.
I like the shape of the perch but agree it is a bit large.
Gail