Green heron

BirdPhotographers.net

Help Support BirdPhotographers.net:

Lyle Gruby

Green heron 2.jpg

Shot this today. I was attempting to a setup at a belted kingfisher's favorite perch. (The kingfisher flared immediately upon seeing my "camouflage"--gah I hate them) This green heron, however, had no problem with my setup. I cloned out a couple small branches and a shadow on the bird. I left the other branch in after burning it down, I'll be interested to see what others think. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D3s
500 f4 with 1.4
1/1000
f/6.3
ISO 800

This is a lovely portrait of the bird. Nice background, exposure, sharpness and pose. I find that upper branch to be more of a distraction, especially given that it's out of focus. I understand that it might be nice to frame the bird with such a branch, but it just doesn't work for me. The bird itself (with a little cropping) can carry the photo, in my opinion.

Toning down the perch and re-cropping to de-center the subject will give you pleasing results. The subject looks great with beautiful colours and nice details.

Love the light and the color of the BG.
I would crop in a bit more from the left to spider web edge and get rid of the branch in LUC.
IQ is excellent,
Gail

Latest posts

Back