PDA

View Full Version : Australasian Gannet

Sidharth Kodikal
02-27-2014, 10:31 PM
From my recent trip to New Zealand.
Although it was a family trip, I took my gear along "just in case". Was able to sneak out for a couple of sessions at a Gannet colony. Really enjoyed watching and photographing these amazing birds and their chicks.
I got flight shots against water bg, a few against completely black BG, but quite liked looking down at the bird with a hint of the steep cliff showing in this one. Something different I thought.
Not sure if it's everyone's cup of tea.

Canon 1D4 | 500mm
1/1250 | f4.5 | ISO 800
Manual, HH

All feedback appreciated.
Thanks!

Marina Scarr
02-27-2014, 11:18 PM
For me, this image is a strong contest contender. It is extremely unique, and I love the topside view with that dramatic backdrop of rocks with designs that go so well with your subject. IT's dramatic and its' powerful.

Iain Barker
02-28-2014, 08:25 AM
Really like this Sidharth. I feel it shows the birds environment well without it overpowering the image. I wonder if there is more detail in the whites that could be teased out.

TFS
Iain

Stu Bowie
02-28-2014, 08:55 AM
Hi Sid, Im sure you were never going to leave your gear behind, especially going to NZ. :w3 Love the full wingspread here, and I feel you have nailed the exposure on the gannet -the blacks on the edge of the wings really stand out against the cliff face. Good placement in the frame too. Looking forward to some against a sea BG. Actually just looking forward to any of your gannet images, and anything else you came away with. :w3

Miguel Palaviccini
02-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Sid, if Marina says it's a strong contest contender ... enter it in a contest!

Glad you took your gear, "just in case". Big fan of that bg, and I'm glad that you didn't decide to burn it in any further.

dankearl
02-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Very cool, Sid.
The perspective is great, maybe one more round of BG although probably just compression.
Well seen and well done.

Juan Carlos Vindas
02-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Great look on the back of this ganet! I like how it stands out from the dark BG. Well done.

David Salem
02-28-2014, 11:57 AM
Welcome back Sid. Very cool shot with a unique and beautiful perspective . The rocks below give a real sense of height. The techs look great and the black on the wings shows up nicely against the dark BG.
Nice work

Sidharth Kodikal
02-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Thank you all. Appreciate the comments.

Raymond Lee
03-01-2014, 07:01 PM
Beautiful flight shot! I also love that BG. Nice exposure on the Gannet as well!

Satish Ranadive
03-02-2014, 12:55 AM
Excellent flight pose with beautiful topside view.I like the dark BG and composition.

Regards,
Satish.