PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret: Gatorland

Troy Lim
03-03-2014, 06:16 PM
Early Morning Display
~The sun just came up, slowly lifted the fogs and this great egret was displaying its beauty. This shot was taken on Saturday at the Gatorland. Using a little filled at -3EV, I was able to pop the whites on the bird. Clone out some distracting elements to the right of the frame.
5D3, 70-200 II @ 185mm, 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO800, filled flash, Manual with filled flash.

Raybel Robles
03-03-2014, 07:14 PM
What a beautiful image! What i like the most is the beautiful side or back light on the image. The pose of the Egret is perfect aswell!

I cant wait to go to Gatorland next month!. I was there last year's Apr/May and had a great time and lots of photos!

Raymond Lee
03-03-2014, 07:50 PM
Beautiful image! Love the backlighting and the bird's pose!

Daniel Cadieux
03-03-2014, 08:01 PM
The backlighting works very well here, and the egrets pose is very elegant. Neat to have that single flower in there! I think adding a bit more to the blacks would enhance the dramatic effect of the image, all depends what you were going for though.

Troy Lim
03-03-2014, 10:35 PM
The backlighting works very well here, and the egrets pose is very elegant. Neat to have that single flower in there! I think adding a bit more to the blacks would enhance the dramatic effect of the image, all depends what you were going for though.

Good suggestion Daniel, I didn't play with the contrast or blacks, I will give it a shot.

Troy Lim
03-03-2014, 10:36 PM
What a beautiful image! What i like the most is the beautiful side or back light on the image. The pose of the Egret is perfect aswell!

I cant wait to go to Gatorland next month!. I was there last year's Apr/May and had a great time and lots of photos!

Next month is going to be rocking. I will probably go back one more time.

Joseph Przybyla
03-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Nice image Troy. I like the soft backlighting and pose. I was there recently and will be returning soon. Thanks for sharing.

Jonathan Ashton
03-04-2014, 02:52 PM
Lovely image Troy, this may be entirely contradictory to your intention but lowering the overall brightness and subsequently enhancing contrast works for me. (I was just messing around with curves).

Randy Stout
03-05-2014, 09:08 AM
Troy:

Well composed, posed, backlit. I am with Daniel on this one, adding blacks helps a lot, IMO.

Cheers

Randy

Troy Lim
03-05-2014, 09:52 AM
Troy:

Well composed, posed, backlit. I am with Daniel on this one, adding blacks helps a lot, IMO.

Cheers

Randy

I totally agree with you guys, it never crossed my mind when I was capturing and editing this shot. I like both versions.

Diane Miller
03-06-2014, 11:47 PM
Wonderful capture of an artistic pose -- that's a target-rich place!! I agree about the blacks, and wonder if some of the soft contrast here is from flare, from the sun hitting the front element of the lens. Did you have any filters on? The bare lens is coated to be remarkably immune to flare but filters can make the problem worse.

Troy Lim
03-07-2014, 07:05 AM
Wonderful capture of an artistic pose -- that's a target-rich place!! I agree about the blacks, and wonder if some of the soft contrast here is from flare, from the sun hitting the front element of the lens. Did you have any filters on? The bare lens is coated to be remarkably immune to flare but filters can make the problem worse.

No filter Diane, the sun was in the 1 o'clock position when I took this, could be the flare.