PDA

View Full Version : House Wren looking for a special someone

Philippe Collard
05-27-2008, 04:20 PM
Hello,

The cemetery downtown Montreal is quite a good place for bird photography. There you can watch Bluebirds, many species of Warblers, Tanagers just to name a few. A common host to the place is the House Wren, I like this tiny active loud singer. This one was quite busy bringing branches into this nest box and calling for that special someone :)

Comments are very much welcome.

Thanks a lot and best,

Philippe.

http://www.pbase.com/ocean7/image/97737653.jpg

1DMKII + 500/4.5L @ 700mm
1/320 @ f/8
ISO 640
Tripod
Cropped from horizontal

Doug Brown
05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Great capture of a singing bird Philippe; you can almost see its tonsils! Love that green BG. The bird looks a little oversharpened on my monitor. I wonder if the original horizontal crop might work better.

Philippe Collard
05-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks Doug. I am never sure about the final sharpening on jpegs for the web. I'll have a closer look at this, I use a script from the other site and it works well... maybe my original tiffs are oversharpened from the start?

Cheers,

Philippe.

Lana Hays
05-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Philippe
At first I didn't think it was over sharpened.....but when viewing the head....it seems to be where it's most noticeable. Great job getting him out in the open and singing. Colors are rich.....especially the beautiful green BG. And.....I really like the perch. I don't think I've seen a House Wren on anything else but a wooden nest box or fence post. Well done.

Alfred Forns
05-28-2008, 09:32 AM
HI Philippe Agree is just a little over sharpened ( goo eyes Doug)

Could try a couple of things for the sharpening. I like using smart sharpening rather than USM and after applying always go to edit > fade smart sharpen > on the mode use fade luminosity !!! Would set up an action so you won't have to go through the steps all the time.

Gus Cobos
05-29-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice capture and pose... I would recommend cropping just above the right angle block of the perch...that extra portion distracts from the simetry of your composition...:cool:

Gus Cobos
05-29-2008, 07:11 PM
See if you like this...:D

Blake Shadle
05-30-2008, 02:02 PM
Very sharp, and I really like the background on this one Philippe! I do like Gus' crop on this one, puts more emphasis on your great subject.

Lance Peters
06-04-2008, 03:08 AM
like the repost - well done.