PDA

View Full Version : Magnificent Frigatebird

Steve Kaluski
04-06-2015, 05:09 AM
With Joseph's recent posting of a Cormorant, it reminded me to look back at some of these birds, the beak is such an awesome tool.

The inflatable pouch is fantastic and looks to me like an old leather soccer ball, well worn. I didn't want too much detail in the rich blacks, just a hint, but to retain the depth to make this 'red gular pouch' really sing out and hoped to retain that 'weathered' look. Couldn't go landscape for the subject to look into, distracting elements on the LHS tree branches.

Thanks for either viewing or commenting on the previous image.

Steve

Subject: Magnificent Frigatebird (Fregata magnificens), front on, head side on to the left, on nest
Camera: Canon MKIII (old but gold)
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 with 1.4ext
Exposure: 1/640's at f/5.6 ISO400
Original format: Portrait, very slight overall crop, (more image content top & bottom)

Joseph Przybyla
04-06-2015, 06:29 AM
I would say your Frigatebird is magnificent (pun intended). I have only seen these a couple of times flying high above. To see one close up is a treat. Thank you for sharing.

Steve Kaluski
04-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Hi Joseph, your image provoked me to look at back at few images I had forgotten about and archived, so cheers too. :wave:

Gabriela Plesea
04-06-2015, 06:53 AM
Dear Steve,

Not sure how many times I commented on your images and said "best image to date"... Now I have to say it again...

So often I view your work and think "it cannot get better than this" , but you surprise me again and again - congratulations on yet another superb frame, this is exquisite in every way: great composition, well exposed and stunning colours, perfect pose from the subject, wonderful BG. Outstanding PP work, there's so much detail but only where needed and it all looks so effortless. This is perfect, it's "WOW" to me. I hope one day my images would look like this:tinysmile_shy_t:

Can it get any better than this, Steve?

Warmest regards and many thanks for sharing,

Troy Lim
04-06-2015, 02:36 PM
It is a magnificent shot for sure. Love the display and it is so red!

dankearl
04-06-2015, 06:38 PM
I love the detail on the pouch......

arash_hazeghi
04-06-2015, 07:59 PM
what a great view of the pouch, well done Steve

David Salem
04-06-2015, 11:40 PM
This is sweet Steve! Love the pouch detail and color and the profile pose looks great too. I like the nest also. Well done

Steve Kaluski
04-12-2015, 03:08 AM
Thanks folks, David the nest was quite nice, often the Adults/Youngsters add their own 'cement' to bond it together. :bg3: