PDA

View Full Version : Sharp Tern Ahead

Robert Kimbrell
05-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Maybe not sharp enough. This Tern was protecting it's territory and buzzing an onlooker that it thought was too close. Unfortunately this is a 50-60% crop, and undoubtedly hurting the IQ. Getting closer is physically easy, but not something I intend to do at this location. I might try the extender next week.
1DX 600II
F/8 1/4000 ISO 400

gail bisson
05-18-2015, 07:22 PM
What a great pose! Looks pretty good IQ wise considering the crop.
Had this been a FF image I would have suggested an even tighter pano crop.
Look forward to your attempt with the extender on!
Gail

keith mitchell
05-19-2015, 02:32 AM
Very different and unique pose Robert, hope your extender does the trick and it's nice that you have such a concern for disturbance on your site, thanks for giving us a look.

Keith.

Jonathan Ashton
05-19-2015, 04:11 AM
Robert the first thing that impressed me with your post was your concern for the subject. Secondly of course I think you have a good and unusual image. The TC should provide more opportunities though I suspect it won't be easy with a 600mm & TC.
I will be visiting the Farne Islands, weather permitting, this week, here the arctic terns buzz you was you walk along the path. I will have the wide angle on my camera and snatch a few shots as I walk by but I will not hang around trying to optimise.

Ákos Lumnitzer
05-19-2015, 06:35 AM
We can be our own worst critics at the best of times. I also appreciate your care with regards to the birds' welfare.
It is a really cool head angle on the tern. Don't be shy about using a TC. Best things invented to keep one's distance or to get more into the frame.
Looking forward to the next shot! :)

Daniel Cadieux
05-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Really neat pose indeed! Looks like you had beach sand acting a bit as a reflector for under the wings. I too could see a pano crop (and perhaps a touch more sharpening) - you would not lose any more IQ if you kept it the same width but just cropped top and bottom..

Robert Kimbrell
05-19-2015, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the comments, I have to agree with a pano crop.