PDA

View Full Version : Short eared Owl'

keith mitchell
11-28-2015, 02:30 PM
Nikon D300
Nikon 500mm f4
1/160@f4.5
iso 640

Short eared Owl on a typical wet and windy winter night with all it's lack of light,sure the gear that I now have would cope with these conditions better but did like my old Nikon D300.Have done some rotation hope it's enough.

Thanks for taking a look and your comments on my Crested Tit posts much appreciated.

Randy Stout
11-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Keith:

I like the comp, pose, windblown feathers, background. The stare us great, The D300 did well. I usually limited mine to about ISO 800 before the noise became a major concern.

Even though it is obviously a common situation for them to set on a barb wire fence post, I have always found barbed wire to be distracting element. I think it has to do with working with and being cut by it too often as a youngster! Bad juju!

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
11-28-2015, 03:39 PM
A beautiful shot that really captures the feeling of a dismal winter setting. Great background and lovely color palette, penetrating eyes. I do feel that the barbed wire draws my eye away from the gorgeous bird, but it is where he chose to perch.

William Dickson
11-28-2015, 04:11 PM
The barbed wire dont bother me Keith. But, rusty would be better :w3 Love the pose and colours on the bird, blending perfectly with the BG. And those eyes :S3:

Will

stuart wanuck
11-28-2015, 07:46 PM
sweet and nice great eyes

keith mitchell
11-29-2015, 04:05 AM
Thanks a lot guys, funny about the barbed wire we don't have many cattle in this part of Lincolnshire but still plenty of barbed wire ,have removed it on some images but the jury is still out on the results.
Bill very pleased that we are together on this( captures the feeling of a dismal winter setting) we get a lot like this, thanks.

Keith.

Steve Kaluski
11-29-2015, 07:46 AM
Hi Keith, like the windswept plumage, good job he or she is not out today, bit of a gale I think?

TFS
Steve

Marina Scarr
11-29-2015, 07:51 AM
Your BG goes so beautifully with this stunning owl. Love the look back pose. I think I'd give it a tad more room top and right.

Jonathan Ashton
11-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Lovely shot I don't mind the barbed wire - this is how we often see them over here. The image looks well focused but just a little soft - no doubt due to the combination of wind and shutter speed.

Gabriela Plesea
11-29-2015, 01:12 PM
Dear Keith,

I am a big owl fan and just cannot resist looking at owl images:)

Love the pose here, beautiful bird, the barbed wire not an issue for me. I perfectly understand your choice of settings, given the capability of your equipment at the time.

I obviously never saw this species but I am wondering about the blues - I took the liberty of doing an RP, WDYT? Also felt the image needed a bit of rotation.

Wonderful capture and I just love those alert beautiful eyes, thank you for sharing Keith, enjoyed viewing:5

Warmest regards,

keith mitchell
11-30-2015, 03:57 AM
Like your take on this Gabriela ,was not sure about rotation even though had done a fair bit,thanks.

Keith.

shane shacaluga
11-30-2015, 05:52 AM
Good image of an elusive bird in my area! Windswept plumage adds a lot to the image and BG is great. The eyes on this species are mesmerising

RP addresses a couple of minor points

TFS

keith mitchell
11-30-2015, 08:06 AM
Thanks Shane, think the eyes always seem to stand out more if the bird is on a dark Bg.

Keith.

Stu Bowie
11-30-2015, 02:08 PM
Hi Keith, good look back pose, and love the intent stare from those eyes. Good DOF, which in turn has shown up all the feather detail. I wish the wire wasnt there, as the post on its own would have worked a treat. Killer BG. Overall, well captured.

Gabriela Plesea
11-30-2015, 02:10 PM
Thank you dear Keith:tinysmile_shy_t:

Let us have some more please, those golden eyes are fascinating!

Warmest regards,

keith mitchell
11-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks Stuart even though you would have a hard time trying to find any sort of Cattle in my part of the county of Lincolnshire we still have plenty of wire.
Gabriela you are a great source of encouragement, thanks a lot.
Keith.

Gabriela Plesea
12-01-2015, 12:42 PM
Thank you Keith,

I really like your enthusiasm and your passion for wildlife:)

I have a soft spot for the little things in Nature and I think you do too, I follow your work with great pleasure, my friend:w3

Warmest regards,

Jim Crosswell
12-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Excellent image Keith! I like the look back pose, beautiful eyes, BG and wind swept head feathers. I like Gabriela's repost too.

keith mitchell
12-02-2015, 03:49 AM
Thanks Jim much appreciated.
Keith.

Andre Pretorius
12-02-2015, 02:50 PM
Hi Keith

I do not like square crops, this just came out like that...
Just my take, another version.
My aggressive crop took it's toll of IQ, just an idea..
The pole/fence was part of the capture, use it or loose it..

WDYT?

keith mitchell
12-02-2015, 03:19 PM
My main aim as well as the Owl I did try to keep the weather conditions and the dull grey bg,think maybe this looks a tad big in the frame and certainly as you say taken it's toll on the IQ,poles and wire is something I have to live with ,Andre thanks for your interpretation much appreciated.

Keith.

Ivan Ellison
12-02-2015, 05:04 PM
Plenty of good comments Keith. A blast from the past , such a shame what happened at Worlaby.

keith mitchell
12-06-2015, 04:17 AM
Thanks Ivan.

Keith.