PDA

View Full Version : Tree Swallow

David DesRochers
06-08-2008, 08:17 PM
This shot was taken with a Canon 40D and 100 to 400 zoom lens at 400 MM. Settings, ISO 800, f10, 1/1250 sec. 580 Flash with Better Beamer at -1 2/3. Conditions were sunny, with some clouds (not sure if I had cloud cover at the time I took this shot). I photographed this subject as it approached a nesting box. I prefocused on the post that held the box. The post is opposite the entry to the box. I'm a bit disappointed with the detail.
I used unsharp mask in Photoshop. Also did a levels adjustment and used gaussian blur on the backgroud. Any suggestions on how to improve detail would be appreciated. I've heard some say that the 100 to 400 tends not to be the sharpest lens out there. Your thoughts?

Alfred Forns
06-09-2008, 07:41 AM
Hi David At this size does look very good All I could have wished for is a the other wing fully open but as presented its a fine capture.

The bg is extra sweet and love the pose. When going after birds like these normally I will sacrifice dof for speed. They move so fast motion blur is the limiting factor !!! btw if you have it would like a little more space up top !!! Big Congrats !!!!

Fabs Forns
06-09-2008, 08:31 AM
I like your choice of crop very much. I'd sharpen the bird's head a little more. Sweet BG.

Axel Hildebrandt
06-10-2008, 08:32 AM
I like the crop idea, too. Nice capture and I agree on sharpening more. Keep them coming!