View Full Version : Arctic Tern Portrait

William Dickson
06-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Canon 1DX
f/4 500mm
f/7.1
1/800
ISO 1250

I got close to this Arctic Tern yesterday on a rainy Isle of May.

Will

Joseph Przybyla
06-17-2016, 07:20 PM
Very nice, I love the water drops. Thank you for sharing, Will.

Randy Stout
06-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Will:

Soft light, handsome bird, sharp and well exposed. As Joe mentioned the drops are great. The contrast against the black crown is outstanding. As I just mentioned in my post above yours, often the more challenging weather can yield some unique pictures.

Very well captured.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
06-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Those drops really do make this image quite special! Good comp.

Arthur Morris
06-18-2016, 08:42 AM
SH, EXP, Image Design, soft BKGR, and water droplets superb. Is anyone seeing a bit of magenta in the grey feathers? Headed that way soon :)

a

William Dickson
06-18-2016, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the comments, much appreciated :S3:

Hi Arthur, Its a spectacular island, as you know, especially at this time of the year. That was my third trip, this season. The weather has been a wee bit dodgy, but it is starting to pick up now :) Two of my trips were cancelled last month, because of the weather. Good news, the Puffins and Arctic terns are up in numbers this year :S3: Hope you have a great time.

Will

Arthur Morris
06-18-2016, 09:53 PM
Thanks Bill. I was there only once and that very briefly... We had just found the puffins landing right at us into a 40knot wind, just hanging there in front of those with beaks full of fish. Then the landing was called due to the high tide and we had to go back to the ship :(

a

Steve Kaluski
06-19-2016, 02:52 AM
Is anyone seeing a bit of magenta in the grey feathers?

I think that might stem from the deep colour of the 'bill' Artie, looks a bit too Saturated, although tweaking the Tint slider seems to do the job and resolves things? Certainly removing the slight cast improves the image.

Will are you making 'selective' adjustments via layers & masks, or Globally? Adjusting the highlights & White sliders also brings bait more detail/Definition to the plumage.

William Dickson
06-19-2016, 06:57 PM
Hi Steve, sometimes globally, sometimes selective depending on the image.

David Salem
06-21-2016, 12:07 AM
I like this one Will. The details and the water drops are great and I like the overall colors. I do see a slight magenta cast to the whites too. Well done