PDA

View Full Version : Limpkin

Joseph Przybyla
07-11-2016, 06:42 AM
I captured this image recently at Circle B Bar Reserve in Polk County, Florida. To those not familiar with this bird, it is mostly found only in Florida. The main food item is the Apple Snail, a fresh water snail that resembles an apple in size. Comments and critique welcomed and appreciated. Thank you for viewing.

Nikon D7000
Nikon 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6 VRII AF-S ED shot at 400mm (600mm FFE)
1/2000 F/8 Matrix Metering 0 EV ISO 900 AWB, camera supported by a monopod
Post processed in Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC
Cropped for composition and presentation

Lorant Voros
07-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Very nice portrait of this nice specimen. You have been very close to this...again. I like the nice overall tonality, the clean BG and the bright eye. Well done, Joe.

keith mitchell
07-11-2016, 02:25 PM
Joe I am envious of the quality you have got on this bird,feather detail, the eye and the bill all look great .

Keith.

Isaac Grant
07-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Florida is such a cool place. One of the few places where you almost always have too much glass with you. What a problem to have!!! Very nice portrait of this bird. They are quite friendly and tame at Circle B. I have been there and seen Limpkins at point blank range. Details and background look great. I would prefer a the bird to be farther right in the frame and leave more room for the bird to look into.

Jonathan Ashton
07-12-2016, 10:47 AM
Wonderful colours and details, the bill is terrific. I wondered if you could apply a little detail extractor or more sharpening to the head/around the eye, I feel there is a little more detail to be had.

Marina Scarr
07-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Killer IQ and colors here. Wish for a different crop also with the bird to the right, more on top and left, but you outdid yourself here with feather details, angle and sharpness.

Joseph Przybyla
07-13-2016, 01:37 PM
Thanks everyone for viewing, commenting and suggesting improvements. Very much appreciated...

I intend to work on your suggestions on my original, thank you for offering ways to improve the image.