PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Terns

Geoffrey Montagu
08-19-2016, 01:12 PM
I captured this image last month in Iceland. I had been observing and trying my best to get a decent image of these speeders as they brought fish in for their chicks. This particular pair seemed to be cooperating with each other almost as if the bird on the right is indicating that's a good catch. I followed them capturing a few more frames as the flew off staying close together not fighting for the fish. C&C welcome.

D4S, Nikon 500mm + 1.4 TC, 1/2500s, f 6.3, ISO 1250, Gitzo tripod, Wimberley Gimbal head.

Geoffrey

William Dickson
08-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Well done Geoffrey. Been there, and I know how difficult it is to get a capture like this one. Lovely interaction between the two terns and the fish adds so much. Maybe lifting the shadows on the head would show more detail on the eye?

Good work

Will

Geoffrey Montagu
08-19-2016, 04:34 PM
Well done Geoffrey. Been there, and I know how difficult it is to get a capture like this one. Lovely interaction between the two terns and the fish adds so much. Maybe lifting the shadows on the head would show more detail on the eye?

Good work

Will

Thanks William. Forgot to mention I did do some eye work, but didn't want to push it too far.

Geoffrey

annmpacheco
08-19-2016, 06:35 PM
Hi Geoffrey,
love the soft light and interaction you captured here, not and easy task, so well done!

gail bisson
08-20-2016, 06:08 AM
Hi Geoffrey,
Great interaction.
I like the hint of cloud in the sky.
You can pull out the blues in the sky by reducing the luminance on the blues. Try it, you will like it!!
Connor Stefanison or Jess Findlay have a nice 4 minute teaching blog about this on their website. Check it out,
Gail

Joseph Przybyla
08-20-2016, 01:20 PM
This is lovely, Geoffrey. Wonderful interaction, beautiful light. I might try a tighter crop, with a vertical format. Also I wonder if you could tone down the blacks a tad so maybe the eye would show better. Thank you for sharing.

Bill Dix
08-20-2016, 04:34 PM
The interaction is fabulous. Great flight positions by both birds, with a fish to boot. I have a feeling you might pull out a little more detail on the birds, with something like Topaz Detail or NIK DE. How lucky you were to be in the right spot, with the right skills, to grab this one.

Frank Schauf
08-20-2016, 11:30 PM
Excellent flight pose and sharp details.

kerry keyworth
08-21-2016, 12:44 PM
Wonderful timing and great detail in this fine shot..the interaction is stunning. A great deal of skill displayed to produce such an image.

Geoffrey Montagu
08-22-2016, 01:16 PM
Hi Geoffrey,
Great interaction.
I like the hint of cloud in the sky.
You can pull out the blues in the sky by reducing the luminance on the blues. Try it, you will like it!!
Connor Stefanison or Jess Findlay have a nice 4 minute teaching blog about this on their website. Check it out,
Gail

Thanks Gail. As much as I like the sky, in this instance after trying your suggestion I do agree that the blue luminance shifting helped nicely.

Geoffrey

Geoffrey Montagu
08-22-2016, 01:20 PM
Thanks everyone. Bill good suggestion re TD or Nik DE.

Geoffrey