PDA

View Full Version : Belted Kingfisher

Doug Brown
09-05-2016, 05:34 PM
I was at a local marsh the other day with fellow BPNer Jim Keener and my wife, when I saw a Belted Kingfisher female fly in to have a look around. The bird got pretty close to us but flew off after a few seconds. I was happy to get this frame before she vanished!

Canon 1Dx2, 600 mm + 1.4x, f/5.6, 1/4000, ISO 800, manual exposure, hand held

Tim Foltz
09-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Doug, great open wing shot of this speedy bird, nice details and catchlight.
My only nit is it looks like you over darkened a few areas on the neck, chest and belly of the bird (sunlit side),
The color looks to gray... If it's just me, my apologies.

-Tim

Eric Dienesch
09-06-2016, 01:02 AM
I would be also very happy, if it was my picture. really nice wide open wings, the eye direct to you .
i like it very much.
i am near tims thoughts: a little bit less white or light or on the other side a little bit more black perhaps. but only a little bit !

Doug Brown
09-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Doug, great open wing shot of this speedy bird, nice details and catchlight.
My only nit is it looks like you over darkened a few areas on the neck, chest and belly of the bird (sunlit side),
The color looks to gray... If it's just me, my apologies.

-Tim

You bring up a legit issue Tim. The whites in the RAW file weren't blown but they sure were white, and the whites on the neck have very little feather detail. Here's a version where I let the whites shine so to speak. How does this one look to you?

annmpacheco
09-06-2016, 12:17 PM
Hi Doug, killer in flight full spread kingfisher Doug. I think i do prefer the OP, a bit more definition on the belly, but id be happy with what you got, its fabulous considering they are bullets!

Tim Foltz
09-06-2016, 02:15 PM
Doug I do like the 2nd one better, it doesn't look as painted in as the OP did to me.
These kinds of images are very tough to PP.

-Tim

Satish Ranadive
09-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Magnificent flight shot Dougj Sir.Very nice symmetrical wings,beautiul colors,great details ,beautiful HA and composition.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Stu Bowie
09-07-2016, 01:54 PM
Hi Doug, this certainly looks better on the ' big screen ' :w3 Once again, a great flight pose captured, and love the full wingspread. Your comp works well with the KF diagonally across the frame.

Your Belted Kingfishers remind me of our Giant Kingfishers.

Daniel Cadieux
09-07-2016, 03:59 PM
I got an OK KF flight image that I was happy with...until I saw this one. You knocked it out of the ballpark (I only scored a double, or triple at best). The fully spread wings and tail are superb.

David Salem
09-07-2016, 06:02 PM
As far as overhead shots go, this is about as good as you could ask for. The wing position, the head angle with a nice catch light, and the overall details look great. I like the cleaner whites in the repost. Very nice shot Doug

Doug Brown
09-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Appreciate the comments everyone!

Gerhard Weldhagen
09-08-2016, 07:43 AM
Its hard to say something bad about this image - its an absolute cracker, the detail is superb and looks great on my screen. I do notice a spot in line with the tail on the RHS, looks like oil on the sensor? I have had some issues with oil splatter on my 1DXii sensor lately and this looks quite typical. No worries, easy to fix.