PDA

View Full Version : Gourmet breakfast ~ Loon style

Mike Lentz
06-15-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a lake a bit north of me that I've been visiting the last few years as it holds approx fifteen nesting pair of Loons. I am always fascinated watching how the parents start by feeding the babies the smallest fish and gradually work there way up in size and as you see by this image, mix in waterbugs as well from time to time. These are by far my favorite bird species to photograph.

http://www.pbase.com/mike_lentz/image/98704599.jpg

Nikon D200 ~ Nikkor 300mm F/208 w 1.4x TC attached.
ISO 400 ~ F/6.3 ~ 1/640 sec ~ - 1/3 EV (taken off the side of my boat)

Steve Foss
06-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Everything's just right, Mike. Comp, light, pose, perfect moment captured.

Alfred Forns
06-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Sure wish I was there MIke !!!! Won't miss it next year !!!

Love the interaction Would like seeing a little more of the parent !!! Excellent image !!!

Judy Lynn Malloch
06-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Would dearly love to see these birds one day. Adorable picture of the interaction between mother and baby. Alittle more of Mom would be nice but love being able to see all of the baby. thanks for sharing Mike and will look forward to more of these great captures.

Daniel Cadieux
06-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Only thing I would like better is more of the parent as the neck ends rather close to the edge. Otherwise very, very sweet image and interaction - very intimate. I love the snack being something other than a fish simply for being different from what we usually see :-)

Steve Maxson
06-15-2008, 08:09 PM
Very nice, Mike. A good interaction between the birds, good sharpness and DOF, and nice low angle. I agree that a little more room on the left would be nice. This chick looks about 10 days old. Almost all of our loons up here are still incubating. The food item appears to be a dragonfly nymph - a common food for the small chicks. Well done.

Sid Garige
06-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Excellent job Mike. Quite a story teller .I can see the concern in mom's eyes. Good techs and wonderful job.

Mike Lentz
06-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Sure wish I was there MIke !!!! Won't miss it next year !!!

Love the interaction Would like seeing a little more of the parent !!! Excellent image !!!

You darn right you won't! :D;)

Thanks for the comments gang. I actually shot this on purpose tight to center our attention on the feeding... got plenty that include full bodies and will post soon. :)

Fabs Forns
06-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Lovely interaction and sweet light, love the adult's head.

Looking forward to next year!

Axel Hildebrandt
06-16-2008, 05:19 PM
I really like the intimate mood, feeding behavior, angle and details. I would go for a wider crop and maybe remove the yellow patch in the upper right.

Sharna Lee
06-16-2008, 05:22 PM
Great capture! Sweet moment with mom and baby.

Steve Wheeler
06-16-2008, 07:09 PM
Great interaction and moment in time as stated above. I'd agree with Axel that the yellow reflection on the right is distracting.

Steve

Mike Lentz
06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Lovely interaction and sweet light, love the adult's head.

Looking forward to next year! Me too! It will be a great time!

I want to say that I agree with Axels assesment of the yellow reflection from the cattails... it was the thing I thought would be mentioned when I posted the image. :)