PDA

View Full Version : American Oyster Catcher feeding

Michael Thompson
05-05-2017, 09:41 AM
American Oyster Catcher at Bunche Beach, Ft. Myers Florida a few days ago during my vacation, picking the last bits of food from the shell it opened. I wanted a better head angle while feeding, but the bird would not do it, but I feel the cool shell and behavior makes up for it. I would have liked to be closer so no teleconverter or cropping would be necessary, I was slowly inching my way closer crawling through the water getting all sandy and splashed by waves, and the birds appeared that they were going to let me in as close as I wanted. I aimed my lens toward a black bellied plover in nice breeding plumage, when all of a sudden all the birds on the sandbar started running and flew away in a hurry. I looked to see what spooked them. A peregrine falcon swooping down and almost snatching a Sanderling! So the image quality is still good enough for a smaller print though. Canon- 7Dll, 100-400 ll, 1.4xlll. 1/2500, f8,560mm, 640iso

Bill Dix
05-05-2017, 12:30 PM
I really like the way this shows how they use their bills to open shells. I've tried to capture this behavior, but not as well as this. Great light, excellent shell, terrific low POV. The seaweed placement may be less than ideal, but the sharp, well lit bird and shell clearly take one's attention. Good eye, focused on the task at hand, trumps the HA in my opinion.

stuart wanuck
05-05-2017, 01:59 PM
yes nice image and shell adds to story

gail bisson
05-06-2017, 06:13 PM
This is lovely Michael.
Love the shell and not even a little bit put off by the HA.
Great POV and nice light. IQ looks good despite the crop.
I like it!
Gail

Gabriela Plesea
05-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Stunning capture in lovely light Michael, I enjoyed viewing as well as reading the story behind the image.

I like the composition and colours, this is well exposed and processed and IQ looks really good.

Lovely behavioural frame, you should be so pleased with this!

Thank you so much for sharing,

Michael Thompson
05-07-2017, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the nice replies everyone! This probably my favorite image of my florida vacation last week, and will make it on my wall! :)

Marina Scarr
05-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Lovely image with great light. Love the behavior and see no issue with the HA b/c of the behavior captured. I would crop some off of the bottom.