PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane Portrait

gail bisson
01-06-2019, 04:09 PM
I am really getting into portraits these past few weeks.
I shot this as a vertical with the 2X so it really helped to blur out the bg which is a cornfield. Took this at Bernardo Wildlife Refuge.
Canon 1 DX 600mm and 2x
F 9.0 SS 1/1250 ISO 1000
Slight crop in PP, usual LR sliders, NR to BG and USM to JPEG. Nothing added or cloned.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail
OOPS, I posted this too big. You will have to hit the command - to see this.

John Mack
01-06-2019, 05:57 PM
Very nice portrait. The details look great. Love that background would have never though it was a corn field. Wish the bird lifted it's head up a touch to get some light on the eye.

William Dickson
01-06-2019, 06:06 PM
The feather detail here is brilliant. I like the pose on the bird and the BG colour compliments the colours on the bird. Lovely HA. Looking real good Gail, well done.

Will

arash_hazeghi
01-06-2019, 07:52 PM
nice details and BG Gail but the light was getting harsh and I agree with John, the fact that he was looking down didn't help with shadow on the pupil....

TFS

Alex Becker
01-06-2019, 10:14 PM
I love the background, pose, and crop. Really like the inclusion of those orange feathers. Details are nice. Agree with Arash and John re: head angle. TFS

Krishna Prasad kotti
01-07-2019, 02:55 AM
Beautiful Colors. Agree with other comment on head. Background colors are really nice.

TFS

Stu Bowie
01-07-2019, 03:18 AM
Hi Gail, lovely HA, and I like the curvature of the neck. The overall feather detail shows up nicely, and I do like the two feathers with a hint of brown on them. Sweet BG.

Isaac Grant
01-07-2019, 12:09 PM
Very pretty crane portrait with a killer background. I would add a touch more canvas to the right if you have it to show the full orange feather.

annmpacheco
01-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Very nice work with the 2x's and the pretzelled shooting from the backseat! I like the HA despite the eye not being lit, its the contemplative capture that makes this an interesting portrait. Also, the golden feathers are the topping, very sweet.

Arthur Morris
01-13-2019, 07:31 PM
Nice with a sweet BKGR. I muss 1200mm with my Nikon gear ... Taking some off the front for less of a boxy crop might be very pleasing ...

with love, artie