PDA

View Full Version : Living flotsam, jetsam and the hunter...

David Roach
05-30-2019, 11:40 AM
EOS R EF 400DO 1.4xtc II f8 1/320 ISO 1/1000

These diminutive beauties usually stay pretty deep in the vegetation and come down to the waters edge to hunt. Even if that means being splayed between two stalks ( a classic pose for least bitterns). I was walking the boardwalk at Wako when the late evening sun retreated behind clouds and I spotted this beauty working way out on a plant flotilla all alone. Since the distance was far enough but still in range to obviate some of the down angle and fewer people (snow birds gone after Easter) allowed for laying at the bottom of the slats, I had to try for this image. Even if at water level the BG would have been busy. So, I reduced contrast and saturation on the BG only and tried mightily to make this beauty pop against very busy surroundings... Does it work?

As always, I am very thankful for everyone's valued inputs and looking forward to more of the same...

ps
This fella was pulling tiny minnows out of this flotilla like popcorn...

Moe Richard
05-30-2019, 02:00 PM
A very pleasing environmental and action image of this American Bittern. Despite the busy background, the image works quite well due to the contrasting colors.

Ivan Sjogren
05-30-2019, 03:00 PM
I really like the active hunting pose here David! The exposure, details and habitat is very nice.
Could you post the original so that we can compare the colors? I think the vegetation looks a bit unnaturally grey but it works quite well anyway.
A slight head turn and a lower shooting angle (even with a busy BG) would have helped this scene I think.

Bob Smith
05-30-2019, 03:19 PM
EOS R EF 400DO 1.4xtc II f8 1/320 ISO 1/1000

These diminutive beauties usually stay pretty deep in the vegetation and come down to the waters edge to hunt. Even if that means being splayed between two stalks ( a classic pose for least bitterns). I was walking the boardwalk at Wako when the late evening sun retreated behind clouds and I spotted this beauty working way out on a plant flotilla all alone. Since the distance was far enough but still in range to obviate some of the down angle and fewer people (snow birds gone after Easter) allowed for laying at the bottom of the slats, I had to try for this image. Even if at water level the BG would have been busy. So, I reduced contrast and saturation on the BG only and tried mightily to make this beauty pop against very busy surroundings... Does it work?

As always, I am very thankful for everyone's valued inputs and looking forward to more of the same...

ps
This fella was pulling tiny minnows out of this flotilla like popcorn...

Your shot gives a tangible sense of rushing forward David, almost to the extent of being off balance though, and I'm wondering what effect some clockwise rotation of the image would have. Not an artistic image but I like the way it takes us into this fellows watery and mucky world.

<object type="application/x-KPMPlugin" id="kpm_plugin"></object>
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

David Roach
05-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Your shot gives a tangible sense of rushing forward David, almost to the extent of being off balance though, and I'm wondering what effect some clockwise rotation of the image would have. Not an artistic image but I like the way it takes us into this fellows watery and mucky world.

<object type="application/x-KPMPlugin" id="kpm_plugin"></object>
<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/c3d60d9a/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Thanks as always for your inputs, gents. Greatly appreciated.
Bob,
Yes these least bitterns (not american bittern- they are much bigger) are used to hanging on tight to reeds while working the surface. You can see the back foot rotating pivoting on the back floating branch to lineup prey.
Ivan,
Here is the file out of DPP with original hues(no PP in PS). Did I go too far on desat? On the OP I applied slight sat boost and my usual contrast boost curve(bird only) for 400DO.
Peace,
David

ps
Yes, I am not always looking for "Birds as ART" but for bird behavior/environment. I do try to use every sound principle taught by Artie in every image though.

John Mack
05-30-2019, 06:52 PM
You showed the bird in the environment well. Wish for a slight head turn towards you. I like the hunting pose and the outstreched body.

Dorian Anderson
05-30-2019, 07:19 PM
This is such a cool bird, one I've never been able to photograph! The bird is nice and sharp. The colors in the repost look better, but the lack of eye contact make this a difficult connection for me as viewer. Lower shooting angle would have been better, but that's in the past now. The super skinny crop is also a bit difficult for me.

Arthur Morris
06-01-2019, 01:56 PM
Yes, the head angled away from us is an image killer for me. You got it pretty sharp in obviously low light. THe circular broken stem right above the bird's bill is one of three distracting background elements that you might wish to eliminate.

with love, artie

ps: yes, great birds for sure, and difficiult to photograph.