PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich tern (Thalasseus sandvicensis)

Jonathan Ashton
07-26-2019, 02:25 PM
Hand held,taken at Cemlyn Bay, Anglesey
Image input equipment model : E-M1X
Lens focal length : 150 mm
Focal length in 35 mm film : 300.0mm
Exposure mode : Manual exposure
PhotographicSensitivity : 640
Exposure bias : 0 EV
Exposure time : 1/3200 sec
F number : F5.6
Flash : OFF

ACR + PSCC

Aditya Sridhar
07-26-2019, 02:44 PM
I love the effect you were going for here. I'm a huge fan of habitat shots. I like the fish too.

The lighting's harsh and some heat shimmer is visible in the BG. I can also see some noise throughout. Compositionally, I think the bird is sort of in an awkward postion. I'd like to see more room at the top and the bird pushed slightly to the left.

The BG is stunning though. I love the clouds and the OOF cattle (?).

Lovely shot overall! :bg3:

gail bisson
07-26-2019, 03:19 PM
It is hard to follow Aditya's comments because I have little else to add and agree with him 100%.
The placement of the tern feels wrong and I would move him back in the frame. If you wanted to, move the tern in the frame to lower and left via PS move tool. This would allow you to go for more of a pano crop.
Light was also quite high which takes away from the image.
The blue in the ocean seems a bit too mediterranean blue but you were there so will trust you.

Jonathan Ashton
07-26-2019, 04:08 PM
Aditya, Gail I agree with your comments I posted for reaction rather than compliment. I thought ok but no cigar, Gail did you mean mask and move, I did consider moving but I would have preferred a more elongated image but sensor said no.

John Mack
07-26-2019, 06:19 PM
Well it's sharp and i like the environment in the background. Are those cattle? Clouds are nice. Yes to the bird being to high in the frame.

Krishna Prasad kotti
07-26-2019, 06:23 PM
Interesting scene. I agree with other comments in the image.

Nothing else to add from me. I would try this again in cloudy skies (soft light)

TFS

Dorian Anderson
07-26-2019, 06:44 PM
I love the painterly feel of the backdrop! It's really cool and different! However, the lighting is an issue with the underside of the subject being entirely shaded, and I agree the bird is much too high in the frame. I understand you wanted to have the water in the frame, but the shooting angle isn't to let you have ocean, land, and sky AND a correctly placed subject. Pick your poison!

Steve Kaluski
07-27-2019, 04:15 AM
Hi Jon, I like the concept, but for me, the kit/settings do not deliver that lovely bokeh backdrop for the subject to sit on and so it appears coarse with an almost 'impressionist' look & feel.

TFS
Steve

Jonathan Ashton
07-27-2019, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I nearly did move the tern but still couldn't get the composition exactly as I wanted. Damian & Steve your remark regarding painterly was precisely why I posted it, I couldn't make up my mind if I really liked it or not but on balance it appealed because it was a little different.
John - yes those are cows.

Steve Kaluski
07-27-2019, 04:37 AM
Damian & Steve your remark regarding painterly was precisely why I posted it, I couldn't make up my mind if I really liked it or not but on balance it appealed because it was a little different.

Who's Damain?

Different yes, but the BKG just competes too much Jon and dominates for my tastes and the white cow draws my eye.