PDA

View Full Version : red-tailed black cockatoo

greg cowle
08-31-2019, 06:57 AM
Female red-tailed black cockatoo of the banksii race (yellow with some orange on the tail), with the spotted head common to females of all races. Far wing is in shadow, I didn't try anything extreme on that.
Canon @600mm, 1/4000, f6.3, ISO 640.

John Mack
08-31-2019, 10:20 AM
Nice and sharp with a nice overall view of the bird. Maybe some more room below would be nice.

Jack Backs
08-31-2019, 01:46 PM
Interesting looking bird. Maybe try to bring out a little more detail in the blacks at least on the front wing.

Daniel Cadieux
08-31-2019, 05:53 PM
That is a way cool bird...I love the "tiger" striping on the tail! Comp is good bu the main thing affecting the image is the blocked blacks. Is there any detail there to recover, especially during raw conversion?

Jonathan Ashton
09-01-2019, 02:44 AM
I am confident you could get more out of the bird, why not double process the raw file then superimpose the two?

greg cowle
09-02-2019, 05:35 AM
Thanks all for the comments, there is a consensus I should try and get more from the far wing. This is a very black bird, and the wing is in the shadow from the body, so I am not as confident I can do much, but will give it another go. Jonathan's suggestion seems interesting. I did get some images with more upright and better lit wings, but in level flight the color on the tail is almost undetectable, so I liked that this one banked in front of me to display the underside of the tail.