PDA

View Full Version : Theme Little owl

Steve Kaluski
02-16-2020, 06:02 AM
This is when this guy moved back to the old Willow tree, which was nice.

OK man made 'perches' are not always that attractive, but it's just having and trying other options, as this old trailer was in the yard so we quickly popped it down onto location. Not an award winning image, more just fun times and perhaps highlights 'scale' too?

Thanks to those who posted or viewed on the last posting.

Steve

Subject: Little owl (Athene noctua)
Camera: Canon EOS 5D IV
Lens: 200-400f/4 HH
Exposure: 1/640s at f/6.3 ISO2000
Original format: Portrait, very slight crop.
Processed via: LRCC & PS2020

Andreas Liedmann
02-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Hi Steve ... lovely little owl . I do like the overall image design ... but not a fan of the man made perch . Image has nice depth because of the elements ...

I might back off with structure/sharpness on the rusty rim , takes away the interest from the Little Owl , IMHO .

TFS Andreas

Steve Kaluski
02-16-2020, 12:09 PM
not a fan of the man made perch

Indeed, but as I said, it's trying to work the owls and offer something different.

I might back off with structure/sharpness on the rusty rim

It's as shot, but with 5 points of NR in LR, perhaps the combined Alpha dark/light Curves or Levels mask may have pulled too much definition????

The additional image shows more clearly Andreas the set up, and shot with the 100-400, he/she was gazing at these big, fat, green caterpillars. Shot much wider you can see how much the DoF tails off, it's not NR, even at f7.1.

Randy Stout
02-16-2020, 02:50 PM
Steve"

I tend to like rusty mechanical things in general, just look in my garage, but the bird is so small that it is somewhat overpowered by the giant tire/rim combo, as Andreas mentioned. I am all for trying different things however and I would have taken the shot as well.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
02-16-2020, 06:25 PM
I love this and I actually would have loved for an even wider view to include the full wheel (at least the metal rim part)! I do find the saturation a touch subdued, but overall I like this fun and rustic image.

Steve Kaluski
02-17-2020, 03:49 AM
I am all for trying different things however and I would have taken the shot as well.

In this 'Digital World', why not randy it costs nothing compared to the old 'film days' and I think folk are hesitant and pushing themselves, the kit and ultimately - the shot. :w3

Thanks Dan, just bored of 'owl on a stick' and worth a punt, as you never know. :bg3:

Sanjeev Aurangabadkar
02-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Hi Steve, a fun image indeed and the rusty rim and tire make an interesting albeit not a typical perch. Nice one.

Dorian Anderson
02-17-2020, 02:14 PM
Minus the setting/perch which you understand, I might warm the frame a bit as it feels a bit cool now. Otherwise, all the other techs look good.

John Mack
02-17-2020, 04:13 PM
I like this one. The hand of man element is nice. It shows how small the owl really is. Detail is superb per ususal.

Stu Bowie
02-20-2020, 08:32 AM
Hi Steve, the little guy looks comfy on top of the tyre. In pane #3 it really shows how small this fellow actually is. Ive never seen one in real life, but they seem pretty small. Would I have taken the shot - you bet. :w3