PDA

View Full Version : Redemption

Brian Sump
06-11-2021, 09:55 PM

Felt a little embarrassed posting a "bird on a stick" last time around. Glad to this forum for holding me accountable, my standards are higher.

Played audio earlier Thursday morning and got several shots of a Blue Grosbeak Pair on Mullein stalks. Then a while later while playing for Lazuli Buntings, this handsome fella landed off to my side.

Considering an all natural perch with no audio, I was pretty stoked to get this.

Canon R5
840mm
Handheld
ISO 1000
1/2000
f8

LR and PS. Nothing cloned or added.

kevin Hice
06-11-2021, 10:07 PM
Backgrounds and perches are just as important as a great subject. Same for lighting it all has to come together. We know when we have it it just pops as I would say. Brian this fantastic love the perch so natural and the background is nice. Another superb image. TFS

Andreas Liedmann
06-12-2021, 04:41 AM
Hi Brian ... this is even better than the precious posting .
Works very well on all counts !!!
Not a single nit from my side .... congrats , a real peach how Jon sometimes say .

Great work

TFS Andreas

Kurt Bowman
06-12-2021, 05:21 AM
Love the detail, perch, comp, processing. No nits from me either…great job Brian!

Arthur Morris
06-12-2021, 07:36 AM
Very nice, but I am equally fine with simple sticks.

with love, a

gail bisson
06-12-2021, 08:13 AM
Why on earth would you be "embarrassed" by your last post. It was so pretty.
I love this image. Great perch and bird. Perfect lookback and just the right amount of separation between the 2 stems.
Would love this in my files!
Gail

Stu Bowie
06-12-2021, 08:46 AM
Hi Brian, lovely pose, and even lovelier colours on this fine bird. The detail is nice and sharp, and I do like the framing between the two sets of branches.

Mike Poole
06-12-2021, 10:24 AM
No redemption required on my part, just another lovely frame of an attractive subject

Mike

Wayne Niz
06-12-2021, 11:31 AM
Great looking bird and pic, well done. Details on the branch are also awesome

John Mack
06-12-2021, 02:34 PM
Beautiful bird on a very nice perch. The bird couldn't have picked a better spot to land and pose for you. Nice one.

dankearl
06-12-2021, 03:49 PM
I like the other one better than this one which is nice but the perch is too busy...

Brian Sump
06-13-2021, 12:01 AM
Backgrounds and perches are just as important as a great subject. Same for lighting it all has to come together. We know when we have it it just pops as I would say. Brian this fantastic love the perch so natural and the background is nice. Another superb image. TFS

Kevin, totally agree. It's great when it all comes together... so many 'almosts'. So glad you enjoy it!

Hi Brian ... this is even better than the precious posting .
Works very well on all counts !!!
Not a single nit from my side .... congrats , a real peach how Jon sometimes say .

Great work

TFS Andreas

Andreas, I will relish in no nits!!! That's awesome man, thanks so much!

Love the detail, perch, comp, processing. No nits from me either…great job Brian!

Kurt, same to you! Thanks my friend

Very nice, but I am equally fine with simple sticks.

with love, a

Artie, thank you. Your words were an encouragement in the previous...

Why on earth would you be "embarrassed" by your last post. It was so pretty.
I love this image. Great perch and bird. Perfect lookback and just the right amount of separation between the 2 stems.
Would love this in my files!
Gail

Gail, thank you so much. I guess just a personal thing; it's always felt like a bird on a dead stick was a cop out, or maybe that's just how I was impressed upon early.

Very glad to hear you find this one worthy of praise!

Hi Brian, lovely pose, and even lovelier colours on this fine bird. The detail is nice and sharp, and I do like the framing between the two sets of branches.

Stu, thanks very much for chiming in. Your comments are greatly valued!

No redemption required on my part, just another lovely frame of an attractive subject

Mike

Mike, really appreciate it man. Super glad to hear your positive feedback here!

Great looking bird and pic, well done. Details on the branch are also awesome

Wayne, thank you!

Beautiful bird on a very nice perch. The bird couldn't have picked a better spot to land and pose for you. Nice one.

John, agreed. He was a very gracious fella!

I like the other one better than this one which is nice but the perch is too busy...

:c3:

Jonathan Ashton
06-13-2021, 06:31 AM
Very nice indeed, I have just seen your previous - I missed it, both excellent but I by far prefer this one, the previous appears too stark or clinical after seeing this one. Had I not seen this I would have said the other was great in terms of details tones and colours, the difference I think is that this one tells or hints of a story.

Daniel Cadieux
06-14-2021, 05:30 PM
Sweet. Great bird, background, and the perch is nice. I've been preferring "live" perches the past couple of years over "dead" ones (except for species that prefer those such as an Eastern Phoebe I may post in the coming weeks). Having said this, I went back to your previous image as I missed the last couple days, and I find it to be a very successful image too. Dead perches with character such as thorns or neat bark texture work very well - it's the bland ones that tune me out of late. All that to say: beautiful image!

Brian Sump
06-14-2021, 10:48 PM
Very nice indeed, I have just seen your previous - I missed it, both excellent but I by far prefer this one, the previous appears too stark or clinical after seeing this one. Had I not seen this I would have said the other was great in terms of details tones and colours, the difference I think is that this one tells or hints of a story.

Jon, really glad you like this one and appreciated the previous. Man it ain't easy getting all the pieces together but the reward is great.

Sweet. Great bird, background, and the perch is nice. I've been preferring "live" perches the past couple of years over "dead" ones (except for species that prefer those such as an Eastern Phoebe I may post in the coming weeks). Having said this, I went back to your previous image as I missed the last couple days, and I find it to be a very successful image too. Dead perches with character such as thorns or neat bark texture work very well - it's the bland ones that tune me out of late. All that to say: beautiful image!

Very appreciable viewpoint Daniel. It feels like a little bit of a copout posting subjects on plain, dead perches but maybe it's just the early advice I received. There is someone out there working harder to get all the pieces of a killer frame. But your perspective makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insights and thoughts on both!