PDA

View Full Version : Tall reeds...Longer neck...

David Roach
08-08-2021, 05:34 AM
EOS R6 RF 100-500 RF 1.4xtc @700 f10 1/1600 ISO 20000 HH, Manual EXP cropped from vertical for better composition

Same strongly overcast evening imaging the moorhen chicks, spotted this long neck just above the reeds. What struck me was the much lighter tones in this GBH. I believe this a cross between a regular GBH and a Wurdemann's GBH. Like the White morph these are more common in the Keys but do rarely range further north. A full breed Wudermann's has white on head and neck instead of the usual grey. The reason I think this is a hybrid is the Wurdemann's also have a shorter, thicker bill which this one exhibits. This bird is molting but I've never seen one (a regular GBH) this light colored even while in molt. That and the bill make me think it's a hybrid. Same noise processing applied with DPP sliders and NI for BG.

Thanks as always for valued help with previous posts.

Randy Stout
08-08-2021, 07:45 AM
David:

I like the comp, and although the reeds below are rather 'busy' the head is nicely displayed because of the DOF, and it works well for me.
I don't know the answer to your question, but did think the bird was a bit washed out compared to those that I have seen, both in Florida and up north, so you may very well be right.

Cheers

Randy

Steve Kaluski
08-08-2021, 09:17 AM
Hi David, overall I quite like it, but being almost side on has helped, albeit I think the head is just slightly turned away. The NR is perhaps a fraction too strong, but all personal tastes, this is partly why I like Adobe as you can see whats being applied. The single stem hitting the back of the neck is a little unfortunate. I'm assuming you are using Animal Eye detect, but what Case setting are you using and you have AI servo?

TFS
Steve

David Roach
08-08-2021, 11:08 AM
Thanks gents for the inputs. The sloped bank helped with this one. Getting exactly even would have been all OOF foreground reeds. Getting too high would have ruined perspective. Got just high enough to get the head clear. And yes, a better HA would have been real nice. Yeah, Steve, I move the noise sliders by feel and could have been too aggressive. I am in ai servo, face detect 95% of the time. Have learned quick touch on shutter to obviate need for single shot. Case 2, sensitivity -2, accel\decel +1. I know you have said use defaults on case 2, but I find these settings working so far. For instance, this guy flew soon after this frame right through dock pilings and every frame was in focus. Unfortunately all frames were angled away from me but all in focus. Thanks again gents for your always valued help.:cheers:

Steve Kaluski
08-08-2021, 11:26 AM
Case 2, sensitivity -2, accel\decel +1. I know you have said use defaults on case 2, but I find these settings working so far.

I think what I might have suggested what was - 'correct for the situation', for this situation -2 isn't required IMHO, the subject is static and nothing is in the way or moving across, so locking on and retaining lock on would not be a problem here David, however yes perhaps to +1 for any movement, but again it's not a species that is constantly 'on the go', you may have found 0, 0, better???? With the current tech settings when he bolted, I doubt there would be any frames as keeps though???

David Roach
08-08-2021, 12:20 PM
I think what I might have suggested what was - 'correct for the situation', for this situation -2 isn't required IMHO, the subject is static and nothing is in the way or moving across, so locking on and retaining lock on would not be a problem here David, however yes perhaps to +1 for any movement, but again it's not a species that is constantly 'on the go', you may have found 0, 0, better???? With the current tech settings when he bolted, I doubt there would be any frames as keeps though???

I hear you, professor, and grateful as always for the help.

John Mack
08-13-2021, 05:15 PM
The setting makes this for me. Almost always near or in water.