PDA

View Full Version : Miss snow white

Oscar Zangroniz
08-02-2008, 06:50 PM
From Alberto's rookery at Long Key in Davie, Fl. Most of the birds that had been hanging around for the past couple of weeks are now gone, maybe due to the extreme heat.

Nikon D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8 vr w/ 2xtc
Focal Length: 400mm
Shutter speed: 1/2000 sec
Aperture: 9
Exposure mode: Av
Exposure compensation: -2/3
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Multi-segment
ISO: 400
Tripod assisted

Harold Davis
08-02-2008, 07:10 PM
they knew you were coming!! and left for safer waters!! you're gonna do some time with the HAP for this one!! exposure looks good, compo is good too!! the darker streak splitting the head is a little distracting. maybe you should try some flowers!!!:p:p:p

Alberto Oria
08-02-2008, 07:32 PM
I agree with you Mr H, Oscar is in trouble big time. At least 20 lashes

Lance Peters
08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Hi Oscar - Glad to see you are still shooting BIRDS :) :) :) , its stating to reming me of the 60's around here -- LOL :)

I see you have my lens and converter combo - smart move, think MR H is right going to have to forward you some bail $$ for the HAP. On my screen looks like some hotspots on the back of the bird.

Looks like it could use a little more sharpening - like thus maybe.

Alberto Oria
08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I like the repost Lance:)

Nonda Surratt
08-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Nice pose and framing Oscar! Agree with Lance on the couple hot spots and sharpening..Good going!

WIlliam Maroldo
08-03-2008, 12:54 AM
Oscar: Excellent lens + tele choice. Image is pretty darn good too. Very good composition. I might have gone with ISO 200. You could have got by with a slower shutter speed. Exposure compensation might need to be even more than -2/3 EV. White birds are tricky. I know it is probably not the correct way to do it, but in such a circumstance with white birds, I shoot shutter speed priory and crank up the speed 1 stop more than the camera tells me is correct exposure. regards~Bill

Nicki Gwynn Jones
08-03-2008, 03:32 AM
Hi Oscar,
Sweet image - like Lance's repost - let me know if Mr H doensn't forward enough bail money!!!
Regards,
Nicki

Julie Kenward
08-03-2008, 09:17 AM
Got your bail money ready Oscar??? :D:eek::D Overall, I like the composition and the lighting's pretty decent. He does have several hot spots on the whites of his back, though. You might try shooting and post-processing in raw format as you can often save those whites if they aren't too far blown.

What I don't like is the head angle and the fact that the eye is not perfectly sharp takes it down another notch for me. Get that head angle next time and put that focal point smack dab on his eye!!! I'd also think about blurring that BG (background) another notch or two to put more of the emphasis on the bird.

Keep 'em coming, Oscar! Don't go running for the comfort of flower shots...you're so close to getting these birds photos nailed!