PDA

View Full Version : Ring-billed gull surprise

Duane Angles
01-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Went to Lake Draper last month to see if anything was moving. The only birds doing anything were the ring-billed gulls fighting for a free meal provided by two people and a loaf of bread. I started snapping images like crazy. When I got home and started looking at the images, this one stood out. At first, I did not know what the gull was after, but a closer look revealed that it was a fly. This is one of those once in a lifetime images.

Canon 1D Mark IIN
Canon 500mm with 1.4x TC
1/1600 sec, f/8
ISO 400
Mode: Av
Metering: Evaluative

Fabs Forns
01-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Hi Duane,

This is soooo cool!!!
As you say, once in a life time, like the guy who won the BBC prize photographing the moon with his new lens and a plane showed up when he viewed them.

Congratulations!

Rene Quenneville
01-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Quite a moment! The picture seems a little dark to my taste, maybe a little curve adjustment would make the white stand out a little more. Great job overall.

Meint Sijp
01-15-2008, 01:33 AM
Very nice photo Duane. Like the way the wings are and the tention of the Gulls concentration on the Prey. It seems very noicy on the wing tip and inner wing, muby you should try some noice reduction. Not sure if it is my pc it troubles my PT. What ISO did you use.
The sharpnes and contras/light sutes me well on this pc.
:)

Tony Whitehead
01-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Ultra cool Duane - the light is great but the action makes it.